Former Belgium Prime Minister Guy Verhofstadt, who is also president of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe (ALDE) group, declared that it is “time for change” on Friday (6 January). The politicians will need a majority of 376 votes to win the presidency. Verhofstadt’s ALDE have just 69 MEPs, while the S and Ds have 189 seats and the EPP have 216 MEPs.The first round of voting will commence on 17 January, with just months before Theresa May plans to invoke Article 50 – the mechanism to split from the EU – and start Brexit talks.
Jan 6, 2017
UP Election 2017: Akhilesh corners Mulayam by freezing party bank accounts as SP family feud gets brutal
US Vice President Joe Biden slammed U.S. President-elect Donald Trump and said it was time for him to grow up during an interview with PBS NewsHour conducted at the White House on 5 January.Show host Judy Woodruff was asking Biden about Trumps use of Twitter in recent days in which he called Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer the head clown for his work in defending the Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare.
Jan 6, 2017
Shashi Tharoor detained in Kerala for leading protest against notes ban; released after brief detention
Beyonce, Oprah lead star brigade at Obama's farewell party, as Donald Trump struggles to find celebrities for his inauguration
UP Elections 2017: Over 250 Samajwadi Party MLAs and MLCs support Akhilesh Yadav, signed affidavits to be submitted to EC
News roundup: Can Indian economy survive basic pay to citizens, India bans import of skins of reptiles, mink, fox and chinchillas, and more
- Famous astrologer Bejan Daruwala dies due to Covid-19 in Ahmedabad hospital
- US delivers major blow to China, moves to recognize Tibet's independence
- Assaulted, forced to chant 'Jai Shri Ram': Bajrang Dal leader, 3 minors booked in Karnataka
- Major reshuffle in PMO: New IAS officers roped in amid COVID-19 lockdown; other changes
- 'PM Modi not in good mood over big conflict with China': Donald Trump