Science & Health
The first mission of the ExoMars programme, scheduled to arrive at Mars on Wednesday (19 October), consists of a Trace Gas Orbiter plus an Entry, descent and landing Demonstrator Module, known as Schiaparelli. The main objectives of this mission are to search for evidence of methane and other trace atmospheric gases that could be signatures of active biological or geological processes and to test key technologies in preparation for ESAs contribution to subsequent missions to Mars.
Oct 17, 2016
China has launched its longest manned space mission sending two astronauts into orbit to spend a month aboard a space laboratory. The mission is part of a broader plan to have a permanent manned space station in service around 2022.The Shenzhou 11 blasted off on a Long March rocket at 7.30am (11.30pm GMT) on 16 October. The astronauts will dock with the Tiangong 2 space laboratory, which was sent into space last month. Chinas Jade Rabbit moon rover landed on the moon in late 2013 to great national fanfare, but soon suffered severe technical difficulties. The rover and the Change 3 probe that carried it there were the first soft landing on the moon since 1976. Both the US and the Soviet Union had accomplished the feat earlier. Shenzhou 11, will also carry three experiments designed by Hong Kong middle school students selected in a science competition, including one that will take silk worms into space.
Oct 17, 2016
Indigenous drugs being developed for Hepatitis B and Diabetes; expected to cost lower than the present drugs
Nine sea lion cubs have been released into the wild in Peru. The cubs had lost their mothers after local fishermen killed more than 70 adult South American female sea lions.They subsequently left 50 orphaned sea lion babies to fend for themselves. Peruvian NGO ORCA managed to rescue 30 of them.The number of sea lions have dwindled due to overfishing, the use of nets and dynamite.
Oct 15, 2016
Nearly 200 countries have agreed to limit the use of hydrofluorocarbons (HFC).This type of greenhouse gas is used in refrigerators and air conditioners.Countries are divided into three groups with different deadlines to reduce the use of HFC.These gasses are 10,000 times more powerful than carbon dioxide.Europe and the US committed to a reduction of 10% by 2019 and 85% by 2036.
Oct 15, 2016
12 hours ago
- Drunk Irish passenger assaults Air India cabin crew for not serving more wine
- Twitter storm rages over US President Donald Trump's Diwali tweet
- US President Trump extols close ties to India, PM Modi; says trade deals 'moving along'
- US Open champion Naomi Osaka revamps her garage with 2018 Nissan GT-R Nismo
- Pilots report UFO sighting off Irish coast, probe underway
- Internet and satellite blackout expected as dangerous solar storm to hit Earth on November 18
- After artificial moon, China develops artificial Sun, and it is hotter than our 'real Sun'
- Approaching dark matter hurricane will collide with earth, predict scientists
- NASA opens up on Oumuamua, conspiracy theorists insist on alien technology angle