A 12-second time-lapse footage shows the moment when the smog engulfs the city of Beijing in the latest bout of air pollution. Pollution alerts are common in northern China, especially during bitterly cold winters when energy demand, much of it met by coal, soars.
Jan 9, 2017
Science & Health
A giant iceberg could break away from an ice shelf in Antarctica. An area more than three times the size of London is now only connected to the Larsen C ice shelf by 12 miles of ice. The soon-to-be iceberg makes up 10% of the ice shelf. When the 1,900 square mile area breaks away, Larsen C will be at its most retreated position ever. Sea levels could rise by up to 10cm if Larsen C disintegrates completely.
Jan 8, 2017
Mosquito birth control: Scientists find new way to sterilise mosquitoes in push to prevent Zika, dengue
Stephen Hawking is turning 75 on 8 January. In 1959, he began studying physics at University College, Oxford, aged 17.Hawking was diagnosed with ALS at the age of 21. He was married to Jane Hawking for 25 years, before splitting in 1995. After the divorce, he married his nurse, Elaine Mason, until they divorced in 2006.Hawking has 12 honorary degrees. His 1998 book A Brief History of Time has sold 10 million copies.
Jan 8, 2017
Antibiotic resistance: How to make sure that you aren't at risk of losing ability to kill bacterial growth
- Asteroid Apophis will unleash chaos on Earth on this day and in this place, conspiracy theorist predicts
- How Artificial Intelligence is going to monitor patients' mental health
- Why women dining after 6 pm risk heart disease? Study reveals
- Japan's asteroid probe heading back to earth, could hold keys of solar system formation
- SpaceX launches 60 'Starlink' satellites for cheaper global Internet