Science & Health
Incredible images showing the pillars of destruction have been released by the European Southern Observatory (ESO). Huge towers of gas and dust within the Carina Nebula are being studied to better understand star formation – and analysis of the images shows how the stars appear to be destroying their creators. Scientists used the Muse instrument on the ESOs Very Large Telescope to take thousands of images of the Carina Nebula, located 7,500 light years away.
Nov 2, 2016
In the absence of RNA – or protein-based replication machinery – it is possible for RNA to replicate in a non-enzymatic, template-directed manner. In this animation, the nascent RNA strand is formed from activated nucleotides by Watson-Crick base pairing.
Nov 2, 2016
There was a 30% decline in African savanna elephants from 2007 and 2014. Forest elephants suffered a 65% decline between 2002 and 2013. Poaching is the main threat to African elephants today. Despite an international ban on ivory in 1989, conservationists say we entered a second poaching crisis in 2009 as many Asian economies have grown – thus increasing the demand for ivory.
Nov 1, 2016
1 day ago
- Pilots report UFO sighting off Irish coast, probe underway
- Space to witness ice age due to dropping sunspot activity, warns NASA
- Local residents spotted UFO on same day pilots reported flying object sighting in Ireland
- Researcher issues massive earthquake alert ahead of rare planetary alignment
- Internet and satellite blackout expected as dangerous solar storm to hit Earth on November 18