Science & Health
New Delhi is dealing with serious levels of smog this winter, especially since Diwali celebrations on 30 October. The official data shows that the haze that has covered the Indian capital in the past one week is the worst in nearly 20 years. It has forced the city government to go for several desperate measures, including shutting down schools for three days. It is also considering bringing back the odd-even car rationing scheme in an attempt to bring down the pollution levels.
Nov 8, 2016
Hundreds of snowballs ranging from the size of a tennis ball to over a metre wide appeared on Russian beaches last week (3 November). Excited residents posted videos on social media of the rare phenomenon.
Nov 7, 2016
What we flush can be converted into a biocrude oil with properties very similar to fossil fuels. Pacific Northwest National Laboratory researchers have worked out a process that does not require that sewage be dried before transforming it under heat and pressure to biocrude.
Nov 3, 2016
The Paris Agreement on climate change comes into force on 4 November after more than 190 countries signed a deal to keep global warming below 2˚C. IBTimes UK explains all you need to know about the historic act.
Nov 4, 2016
There was a 30% decline in African savanna elephants from 2007 and 2014. Forest elephants suffered a 65% decline between 2002 and 2013. Poaching is the main threat to African elephants today. Despite an international ban on ivory in 1989, conservationists say we entered a second poaching crisis in 2009 as many Asian economies have grown – thus increasing the demand for ivory.
Nov 1, 2016
2 hours ago
- Fifa World Cup 2018 live stream: Watch Japan, Poland Group H matches on TV, online
- Royal family upset with Meghan Markle over her father's surprise interview?
- "What's the problem if a widow gets remarried?" says Vice President Venkaiah Naidu
- Netflix dismissed chief PR officer Jonathan Friedland for using N-word
- Final images and videos from the Rosetta mission show what it is like to crash on a comet
- Blood Moon: July 27 total lunar eclipse will be the longest one of the 21st century
- City Killers? NASA gears up as more than a million asteroids pose threat to Earth
- Are we the only intelligent species in observable universe? Possibly, says new research
- How cancer progresses? New tech can map it real-time