On 29 September India evacuated thousands of people within six miles of the de facto border with Pakistan as a precautionary measure after surgical strikes. The strikes were the first direct military response to an attack on an army base, and raised the possibility of military escalation between the neighbours that could wreck the 2003 Kashmir ceasefire. Kashmir has been divided between India and Pakistan since 1947. India said on 28 September it would boycott a regional summit hosted by Pakistan in November.
Sep 30, 2016
Shimon Peres funeral: Barack Obama, Prince Charles, Angela Merkel and others pay respect to late Israeli leader
Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte has compared himself to Hitler, claiming he would be happy to slaughter thee million drug addicts to save the next generation from perdition. In his three-month reign, more than 3,000 people have been killed and critics have been pointing out his disregard for human rights. Duterte says the US and EU have no right to criticise him as they shut out refugees and allow them to rot.
Sep 30, 2016
Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte compares himself to Hitler and says he will slaughter three million drug addicts
- Croatian president's hugs, Putin's umbrella and Macron's Pogba dab: Leaders steal the show after World Cup final
- France coach Didier Deschamps reveals crucial moment in their journey to Fifa World Cup glory
- Mobile deal alert: Apple iPhone X price slashed ahead of Amazon Prime Day sale
- Want to reduce your carbon footprint? Stop giving birth to more children
- UFOs are real, but don't know what they are: Former UK ministry official Nick Pope
- Uber driver assaults passenger leaving him with broken nose, Ola driver arrested for trying to throw footwear at rider
- Madhur Bhandarkar hits out at Rahul Gandhi for his comment on Sacred Games' controversy
- Pakistan Army spokesperson Asif Ghafoor tweets picture of Baloch leader standing on Indian flag
- Google techie lynched in Karnataka's Bidar over child-lifting rumours on WhatsApp