Scientists have found out that calcium in our bones regulates the cells that orchestrate bone growth. This finding is important because it could affect treatment for certain conditions such as face deformities – for example, diseases of too little bone growth, such as Treacher Collins Syndrome (TCS). The researchers hope that their efforts to pinpoint the key signals that trigger proper bone growth can help these patients to avoid painful face reconstruction surgeries. One option could be the implantation of a biodegradable matrix seeded with bone cells called chondrocytes, which would then be stimulated to release collagen, the blueprint for bone growth.
Oct 6, 2016
Footage emerging from Haiti has started to show the impact of Hurricane Matthew on the island. At least 26 people have been killed with a further 350,000 needing immediate assistance as houses were knocked down and widespread flooding was caused by the Category 3-5 storm. The full extent of the damage is unclear at the moment as communications are still down in the worst affected areas.
Oct 6, 2016
- Man in UP buries dead daughter, finds another baby buried alive
- Nirbhaya's friend charged Rs 1 lakh for each TV interview, reveals senior journalist
- How did Mahatma Gandhi commit suicide: Gujarat school asks students in exam
- FATF sword put Pakistan under 'biggest pressure': NSA Ajit Doval at anti-terror meet
- Fact check: Was Pakistan behind trending #GoBackModi? Find out