Riot police forcibly broke up a rally of hundreds of women gathering in Istanbul to mark International Womens Day on 6 March. The women mounted their demonstration two days before the official Womens Day on 8 March despite a ban by the governor of Istanbul. Throngs of fleeing women could be seen running away from a police with shields firing rubber bullets into the crowd. Istanbuls governor had enacted the ban on demonstrations citing security concerns.
Mar 7, 2016
South Korea, US begin military drill focused on 'striking' Kim Jong-un after North Korea's nuclear war threat
- Fatima Ibrahim, wife of Sri Lankan suicide bomber, blows herself up with unborn child
- Another blast in Sri Lanka's Pugoda town, no casualties reported
- Brace yourself! A powerful earthquake will jolt the planet today
- What happens after death? UK woman says she felt euphoria during NDE
- Saudi Arabia beheads 37 prisoners in mass execution, ties headless body to a pole