Science & Health
New Delhi, Nov 28 (ANI) : A new study has found that the compounds, which are responsible for the bitter taste in cucumbers, may be able to treat cancer and diabetes. According to the researchers of University of California the bitter flavor in wild cucurbits-the family that includes cucumber, pumpkin, melon, watermelon and squash-is due to compounds called cucurbitacins.The fruit and leaves of wild cucurbits have been used in Indian and Chinese medicine for thousands of years, as emetics and purgatives and to treat liver disease. More recently, researchers have shown that cucurbitacins could kill or suppress growth of cancer cells.
Nov 29, 2014
Humans Walking on Mars Footage Hoax or Fact? 'Ex-NASA Employee' Claims Seeing Images from Viking Mars Lander
- Bishop Mulakkal taken for reconstruction of crime scene
- Mann Kaur: 102-year-old 'miracle' woman throws mean javelin, eyes more athletics medals
- Indian govt develops own game app in bid to counter rising cyber crimes against children
- TN actor and MLA Karunas arrested for controversial remarks on CM Palaniswami, deputy Panneerselvam
- Aggressive octopuses were given Ecstasy and they started behaving very human-like
- NASA sent a balloon into space over North Pole - this is what they found
- Astronomers find Spock's home planet Vulcan?
- Russia doesn't want a 'second fiddle role' in joint lunar orbit space station project with US
- Doctor gives new lease of life to woman, treats rare eye deformity in Delhi hospital