Science & Health
New Delhi, Nov 28 (ANI) : A new study has found that the compounds, which are responsible for the bitter taste in cucumbers, may be able to treat cancer and diabetes. According to the researchers of University of California the bitter flavor in wild cucurbits-the family that includes cucumber, pumpkin, melon, watermelon and squash-is due to compounds called cucurbitacins.The fruit and leaves of wild cucurbits have been used in Indian and Chinese medicine for thousands of years, as emetics and purgatives and to treat liver disease. More recently, researchers have shown that cucurbitacins could kill or suppress growth of cancer cells.
Nov 29, 2014
- Bitcoin scam: ED attaches Rs 42.88 crore worth properties owned by Amit Bhardwaj
- Amid Rafale spat, Dassault Aviation confirms Anil Ambani was its first choice
- India, Australia attempt to rescue Navy commander stranded in ocean storm
- End of American dream for Indian spouses? Trump admin likely to revoke H-4 visas within 3 months
- Russia to bring back to life Woolly Mammoths, many other extinct species in Jurassic Park-styled enclosure
- Planet twice the size of Earth orbiting nearby star 40 Eridani, the home to Spock from Star Trek
- Not alone but planning to take 8 artists with me to moon, says Japanese billionaire
- Is global warming making tropical storms such as Florence more devastating?
- New blood test can detect autism risk for pregnant mothers