Science & Health
New Delhi, Nov 28 (ANI) : A new study has found that the compounds, which are responsible for the bitter taste in cucumbers, may be able to treat cancer and diabetes. According to the researchers of University of California the bitter flavor in wild cucurbits-the family that includes cucumber, pumpkin, melon, watermelon and squash-is due to compounds called cucurbitacins.The fruit and leaves of wild cucurbits have been used in Indian and Chinese medicine for thousands of years, as emetics and purgatives and to treat liver disease. More recently, researchers have shown that cucurbitacins could kill or suppress growth of cancer cells.
Nov 29, 2014
1 hour ago
- Bill Cosby sentenced to 3-10 years in prison for sexual assault; a #MeToo victory
- Aadhaar verdict LIVE: Judges rule that Aadhaar is constitutionally valid but with a few changes
- Non-bailable warrant issued against Pakistani journalist Cyril Almeida for 'leaking sensitive information'
- Virat Kohli: Anushka Sharma and I don't lead fairytale lives unlike what people think
- World famous mathematician solves 160-year-old math problem worth $1 million
- ISRO Mars Orbiter Mission completes four years in orbit – here are its best photos
- What is the connection between full moon nights and increased crime rates?
- Infamous Bellandur lake in Bengaluru spews 10-foot high toxic foam
- We are getting a Mars base by 2028, says Elon Musk