Three decades on, the former communist regime still casts a shadow over the country.
Sep 21, 2016
Dozens of volunteers unloaded truckloads of life vests at 5am on Monday (19 September) to create a life jacket graveyard in Londons Parliament Square. Some 2,500 life jackets were placed in rows on the grass â€“ 625 of which were used by children. The aim is to highlight the plight of refugees ahead of the UN General Assembly in New York where world leaders including Theresa May will discuss the Syrian refugee crisis.
Sep 19, 2016
This is believed to be South Africas late anti-apartheid leader Nelson Mandelas first ever television appearance. The footage is believed to have dated from 1956. The Nelson Mandela Foundation, an NGO dedicated to Mandelas memory, said in a statement that the 24-second interview was probably taken in 1956 during the Treason Trial, which ended in 1961 with the acquittal of Mandela and dozens of others on charges of treason. Mandela, who died in 2013 aged 95, became South Africas first black president in 1994. He won the Noble Peace Prize in 1993 for his efforts to promote racial reconciliation in his racially-scarred nation.
Sep 2, 2016
People take to Twitter to react to the lifting of the burkini ban on one beach in France after a court ruled that burkini bans being enforced on the countryâ€™s beaches are illegal and a violation of fundamental liberties.
Aug 26, 2016
IBTimes UK speaks to Pierre-Claver Mbonimpa from the Association for the Protection of Human Rights and Incarcerated Persons, who claim to have discovered proof of 14 mass graves across Burundi.
Aug 25, 2016
Baloch activists urge Indians to join 'Black Day' campaign on '10th martyrdom anniversary' of Akbar Bugti
- Karnataka: Woman thrashes bank manager for demanding sexual favours for loan [Video]
- Watch BSP MP Rakesh Pandey's son brandish a gun outside Hyatt hotel in Delhi [Video]
- #MeToo: Union Minister MJ Akbar to have 6 lawyers and not 97, confirms law firm
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana: Govt wants Telangana to return Rs 190 cr after it fails to meet PM's housing targets
- Life after death proof? Man claims to have seen biblical scripts during near-death experience
- Dasara celebrations in Mysore Palace cancelled after death in royal family
- HAL a white elephant? MoD report reveals startling cost spike when fighter jets are made in India
- Sabarimala row: Rahul Easwar's wife weeps alleging foul play over arrest
- Flash flood alert: Landslide in China creates new lake that could overflow into Arunachal Pradesh