The Congolese presidents chief diplomat, Barnabe Kikaya, said on 19 December that there was no scenario in which Joseph Kabila would step down at the end of his mandate at midnight. Kikaya said a new president must be elected before Kabila may step down. Elections are not due until next year. Hundreds of anti-Kabila demonstrators defied a ban on marches against the presidents plans to stay in office past the end of his term and gathered in Kinshasa amid a heavy military presence. They demanded the president step down and organise elections that were due this month.
Dec 20, 2016
Donald Trump is now OFFICIALLY the next US president; clinches more than 270 Electoral College votes
Snowfall in Gulmarg raises hopes of tourist arrivals in J&K; Srinagar, Leh to witness sub-zero temperatures this week
Najeeb Ahmed missing: Over 600 cops and sniffer dogs at JNU campus to look for clues to trace missing student
Turkey shooting: Gunshots reported outside US embassy in Ankara hours after Russian envoy is assassinated
The death toll has risen to 12 after a man drove a truck into a busy Christmas market in Berlin on Monday (19 December). German police say their investigation will be based on the assumption that the lorry driver deliberately drove into the market.
Dec 20, 2016
- Cochin shopping mall on high alert as ISIS plans deadly attack in India: Intel inputs
- US warns India of possible cap on H-1B visas to deter data rules: Sources
- Is the sun hollow? Alien researcher spots UFO shooting out of the sun from NASA images
- Bengal man tortures mother over a property dispute, brands her 'witch'
- Egypt's Mohamed Morsi dies during court trial; Muslim Brotherhood calls for protests