Turkish police dispersed hundreds of protesters in Ankara on 9 January, as they marched against planned changes to the constitution. If the new changes are implemented, they would expand the powers of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, introducing an executive presidential system. The draft is expected to pass in parliament, which is dominated by the ruling AK Party, before being put to a referendum in the spring.
Jan 9, 2017
Russia and Turkey sign deal in new alliance that could see Europe encircled by govts that can push NATO to a breaking point
Londoners face transport chaos at the start of the working week after two unions on the Underground stage a 24-hour strike. The action follows weeks of strikes by Southern Rail, as well as price hikes on rail fares. Normal service on the Tube is expected to resume on 10 January.
Jan 9, 2017
- Father's Day 2019: Here are some messages, wishes and quotes for your father on his special day
- Pune cops nab 3 men with Rs 1.26 crore in demonetised notes
- Teenager shot dead with country-made pistol while shooting TikTok video
- Karnataka doctor commits suicide at PGIMS Rohtak after denied leave for sister's wedding
- Imran Khan snubs world leaders at SCO Summit, breaks diplomatic protocol [VIDEO]