In October, a London tribunal ruled that Uber drivers are entitled to basic work benefits such as sick pay and holidays. The move has widely been viewed as a landmark ruling, and the first major challenge to the emerging gig economy in the UK. Uber argue that all their drivers are in fact self-employed, but workers and some unions dispute this, and say the company is trying to avoid paying out costly benefits. Uber currently has 40,000 drivers working in London.
Nov 1, 2016
- Will UP Cabinet nod for Zurich deter GMR from pushing for Jewar airport stake?
- Trump's December 15 China tariffs threaten a long list of Christmas favourites
- Who will blink first? India-US in staring match over taxing Internet downloads
- SBI under-reported bad loans by Rs 12,000 crore in FY 19, reveals RBI report
- Top sugar producing state Uttar Pradesh keeps cane prices unchanged