A curious radio signal picked up by a Russian telescope is probably not a transmission from an extraterrestrial civilisation, but astronomers in California are taking a second look anyway, the SETI Institute said. A group of Russian astronomers last year detected what appeared to be a non-naturally occurring radio signal in the general location of a star system 94 light-years from Earth. SETI astronomers have spent the last two nights using an array of radio telescopes in California to study the suspect star, HD 164595, which has one known planet in orbit.
Aug 31, 2016
Science & Health
This artistâ€™s impression video shows a view of the planet Proxima b orbiting the red dwarf star Proxima Centauri, the closest star to the Solar System. Proxima b is a little more massive than the Earth and orbits in the habitable zone around Proxima Centauri, where the temperature is suitable for liquid water to exist on its surface.
Aug 24, 2016
Great American Total Solar Eclipse: When is it? NASA reveals top spots for viewing the celestial event
Astronomers used ESOs Very Large Telescope to help create high resolution maps of the giant planet to help the Juno mission
Jun 27, 2016
British ESA astronaut holds first press conference on Earth after spending six months on the ISS.
Jun 21, 2016
Tim Peake, Tim Kopra and Yuri Malenchenko return to Earth from the International Space Station.
Jun 18, 2016
Johann-Dietrich Woerner has praised Peake after the Briton conducted 250 experiments during time on the ISS.
Jun 17, 2016
British astronaut Tim Peake will return from the International Space Station on 18 June
Jun 17, 2016
48 minutes ago
- Who was Savita Halappanavar? Indian woman who became a symbol of Irish abortion rights movement
- IPL 2018: Shah Rukh Khan reacts to Kolkata Knight Riders' defeat, lauds skipper Dinesh Karthik
- President Trump Says North Korea Summit Could Still Happen On June 12
- Astronaut Sally Ride, The First American Woman In Space, Will Get Her Own Stamp
- After Loch Ness, another Bigfoot shot dead in Montana? DNA test on to find out
- Anita Sengupta, brain behind NASA's Curiosity landing on Mars, repeats another feat now
- Time travel path? Interdimensional portal opens up in Scotland skies, baffles many
- Nipah virus outbreak in Kerala: Symptoms to precautions, all you need to know
- Dinosaur-killing asteroid also triggered a global warming that lasted 100,000 years