Haiti, one of the poorest countries in the world, was battered by Hurricane Matthew, the strongest storm over the Atlantic since 2007. Matthew made landfall in Haiti on 4 October. The countrys death toll is over 1,000. To compound the impact of the disaster, Cholera has broken out – a bacterial disease spread by contaminated water.
Oct 10, 2016
Morning Brief: Second US presidential debate, British model arrested for ties to Isis, $37 phone from Intex and more
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn spoke at event marking the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Cable Street. The 1936 battle saw 20,000 anti-fascist demonstrators clashs with Oswald Mosleys British Union of Fascists and officers from the Metropolitan Police Service who were protecting them. Around 2,000 people, including members from the Jewish and Irish communities, were present at todays event.
Oct 9, 2016
A video has emerged showing the bombing of a Yemeni funeral hall, led by Saudi Arabian jets. According to local health officials, more than 140 people were killed in the attack. They were attending a wake for the father of the administration’s interior minister, Jalal al-Roweishan. The Ministry of Health said that more than 450 people were killed. Unconfirmed eyewitness reports state that senior Houthi officials, including the mayor of Sanaa, were present in the funeral hall during the air strikes
Oct 9, 2016
- President's rule in Maharashtra? Shiv Sena moves Supreme Court
- Mystery of life after death: NDE victim claims to have entered alternate reality after clinical death
- Maharashtra Governor invites NCP to form govt after Sena losses face: Development so far
- Haqqani Network prisoners to be released in exchange of foreign captives: Ashraf Ghani
- UK academics protest as Cambridge fellow told to go back to India