Turkish police dispersed hundreds of protesters in Ankara on 9 January, as they marched against planned changes to the constitution. If the new changes are implemented, they would expand the powers of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, introducing an executive presidential system. The draft is expected to pass in parliament, which is dominated by the ruling AK Party, before being put to a referendum in the spring.
Jan 9, 2017
Russia and Turkey sign deal in new alliance that could see Europe encircled by govts that can push NATO to a breaking point
Londoners face transport chaos at the start of the working week after two unions on the Underground stage a 24-hour strike. The action follows weeks of strikes by Southern Rail, as well as price hikes on rail fares. Normal service on the Tube is expected to resume on 10 January.
Jan 9, 2017
9 hours ago
- Aliens lived on Mars? UFO researcher spots fossil-like structure on NASA image
- Aliens or Illuminati? Conspiracy theorists allege outlandish causes behind California fire
- Legislation introduced in US Congress to protect work authorisation of H-1B spouses
- Sabarimala impact and BJP: Will Kerala vote the way it watches TV news?
- Cyclone Gaja LIVE updates: Rescue personnel on standby as storm set to reach TN coast by evening