Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said on Thursday (2 February) he had spoken candidly with US President Donald Trump, but would not confirm a Washington Post report that Trump had berated him over a refugee swap deal and cut the telephone call short. The deal was agreed late last year between Australia, which has fought alongside US troops in Afghanistan and Iraq, and the administration of former President Barack Obama. As part of the deal, Washington agreed to resettle up to 1,250 asylum seekers held in offshore processing camps on tiny Pacific islands in Papua New Guinea and Nauru. In return, Australia would resettle refugees from El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras.
Feb 2, 2017
Punjab elections 2017: Why do Rahul Gandhi, Sukhbir Singh Badal believe Arvind Kejriwal is behind Maur Mandi bomb blast?
Lawmakers voted by 498 to 114 in favour of allowing the bill to progress to the next, more detailed legislative stage. Earlier they rejected an attempt to throw out the bill, proposed by pro-EU Scottish nationalists. Prime Minister Theresa Mays plan to take Britain out of the European Union easily cleared its first legislative hurdle on Wednesday (1 February) night, paving the way for the government to launch divorce talks by the end of March. Mays government is seeking approval for a new law giving her the right to trigger Article 50 of the EUs Lisbon Treaty - the legal process for leaving the bloc - after the Supreme Court ruled she could not take that decision unilaterally. The bill could complete the legislative process by 7 March.May wants to begin exit negotiations with the EU by 31 March, starting two years of talks that will define Britains economic and political future and test the unity of the EUs 27 remaining members.Despite presiding over a Conservative Party divided over staying in the EU, May, who campaigned for a Remain vote, secured almost unanimous support from her lawmakers for the legislation. The opposition Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn had also pledged his partys support for the bill at this stage, but 47 of his lawmakers defied his order and voted against the bill.
Feb 2, 2017
Badaun kidnapping: Family attempts to self immolate to protest against daughter's abduction allegedly by local politician's nephew in UP
Baahubali meets Uttarakhand elections 2017: Watch viral video that shows Congress leader and CM Harish Rawat as Bahubali
Despite Good Samaritan law, nobody came to help an 18-year-old cyclist bleeding on the roads of Karnataka [VIDEOS]
- Mann Kaur: 102-year-old 'miracle' woman throws mean javelin, eyes more athletics medals
- Indian govt develops own game app in bid to counter rising cyber crimes against children
- TN actor and MLA Karunas arrested for controversial remarks on CM Palaniswami, deputy Panneerselvam
- Rajasthan elections 2018: Jaswant Singh's son Manvendra quits BJP; says 'choosing the lotus was a mistake'
- Nibiru or Sun's reflection? Red second Sun glowing behind clouds sparks imminent apocalypse fear
- US to make immigration even tougher; proposes rule to deny visa for immigrants on public aid
- Kerala nun rape case: Bishop Franco Mulakkal hospitalised after complaining of chest pain
- 3 UFOs spotted in the night sky of New Jersey, triggering row over origin
- PM Modi launches world's largest state-run healthcare programme from Jharkhand