Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has taken full responsibility for soldiers actions on Mindanao island. He declared martial law on the island currently engulfed in fighting between soldiers and Islamist militants. Duterte warned soldiers not to rape women and told them to shoot anyone resisting arrest. Human rights groups warn martial law could lead to abuse by security forces. Isis-affiliated extremists took control of parts of the city of Marawi earlier in the week. At least 80 people have been killed in the fighting so far and many civilians have been displaced.
May 27, 2017
Around 1,100 hunger-striking Palestinian prisoners ended their 40-day fast. They reached a compromise with Israel on additional family visits. Israel agreed to allow the inmates a second family visit each per month. 18 prisoners are being treated in hospital because of the hunger strike.Palestinians rallied behind the hunger strikers as national heroes. More than 6,000 Palestinians are currently in prison for offences linked to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
May 27, 2017
Armed and unarmed officers have been deployed on British railways on 26 May, after the suicide bombing attack in Manchester that killed 22 people. Police will patrol major stations and trains across the country today to reassure the public, as the threat level in the U.K. remains at Critica.
May 26, 2017
- Pulwama encounter LIVE updates: 2 JeM terrorists killed in search ops; Indian Army Major among 4 soldiers martyred
- China says it will block India's bid to list Masood Azhar as global terrorist
- Depressed techie jumps to death from 13th floor in Bengaluru IT park
- 'Gully Boy' in politics? BJP, Congress release rap inspired videos of leaders
- Pulwama attack: Protests take a violent turn in Jammu; Curfew imposed after CRPF tragedy