A year ago few would have believed that Hassan Rouhani would struggle to win re-election in Iran. But when Iran goes to the polls on 19 May, Rouhanis future is far from certain. Hardliners have coalesced around Ebrahim Raisi, a 56-year-old cleric that is sceptical of Irans nuclear deal with the West and is understood to have the favor of Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Irans Supreme Leader.
May 17, 2017
Watch: 'Tamilian' Rajinikanth says leaders are good but system is rotten; Is politics getting a Superstar?
U.S. President Donald Trump says hes been treated the most unfairly of any politician in history by the media. He made the comments in a speech at the US Coast Guard commencement on 17 May, after a week of scandals at the White House following his firing of FBI Director James Comey and increasing calls for an independent probe of possible collusion between his 2016 campaign and Russia.
May 18, 2017
Protesters flooded Sao Paulos Avenida Paulista on the evening of 17 May after Brazilian newspaper Globo reported secret recordings linked President Michel Temer to a corruption scandal. Protesters called for Temers impeachment after Globo reported that two businessman had shared a recording of Temer allegedly approving payments to buy the silence of former lower house Speaker Eduardo Cunha with prosecutors.
May 18, 2017
- Depressed techie jumps to death from 13th floor in Bengaluru IT park
- 'Gully Boy' in politics? BJP, Congress release rap inspired videos of leaders
- India swiftly gets tough with Pakistan, revokes 'most favoured nation' status
- Emergency to be declared over Mexican border wall soon?
- Pulwama attack: Protests take a violent turn in Jammu; Curfew imposed after CRPF tragedy