Iraqi forces continue their fight against Isis on the edge of the Old City in Mosul. The neighbourhood around the al-Nuri mosque is the focus of the advance. Three years ago, Isis leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi proclaimed a caliphate there.Narrow streets in this densely populated area have slowed down the army’s advance. Residents say Isis militants use them as human shields. According to the UN, several hundred civilians have been killed in the past month.
Apr 1, 2017
Satyam Babu acquitted after 8 years for a crime he did not commit; here are 3 other Indians who were wrongly convicted
Forests are generally thought to absorb methane rather than emit it, but research in Maryland, US, has shown that tree trunks are slowly releasing the potent greenhouse gas into the environment.
Mar 31, 2017
A campaign by UN Women and Mexico City’s government wants to raise awareness about sexual violence against women on public transport. For the campaign, a mould of an erect penis was installed on a train seat to let men experience what women go through on a daily basis.A YouGov poll has ranked the city’s metro as the worst for verbal and physical harassment and 9 out of 10 women have experienced physical or verbal abuse there.
Mar 31, 2017
Activists from the organisation End Deportations laid on the ground, chained to each other, at Stansted Airport on 28 March as they formed a blockade on the runway to stop a flight they said was deporting asylum seekers to Nigeria and Ghana.Flights were suspended at the airport, with a spokesperson telling the Guardian that eight flights were diverted to other airports in the London area.
Mar 29, 2017
Suicide is no longer a crime; mental healthcare is every person's right, says Mental Healthcare Bill 2016
Estonian rescuers managed to help a stranded fisherman to safety at Lake Harku on 23 March after he fell through the ice. The rescuers pushed their board over the thawing spring ice to reach him, falling in themselves. They managed to pull the freezing fisherman onto the board and push him off the lake to safety.
Mar 27, 2017
The European Union will “die”, French presidential candidate Marine Le Pen told a rally on 26 March, promising to shield France from globalization as she sought to fire up her supporters in the final four weeks before voting gets underway.Buoyed by the unexpected election of Donald Trump in the United States and by Britains vote to leave the EU, the leader of the eurosceptic and anti-immigrant National Front (FN) party, told the rally in Lille that the French election would be the next step in what she called a global rebellion of the people.
Mar 27, 2017
Dozens have been arrested at anti-corruption protests across Russia. Protesters in Moscow, Novosibirsk and Vladivostok amongst others demanded the resignation of Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev.Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny was arrested during a protest in central Moscow. The Kremlin called the protests illegal and riot police attempted to disperse protesters.
Mar 26, 2017
Canadian teacher Maggie MacDonnell spent six years working with children in a remote Arctic Inuit community has won a $1m (£810,000) prize at a ceremony in Dubai.
Mar 19, 2017
For the women, by the women: Manju Warrier campaigns for Kerala Police Pink Patrol initiative [VIDEO]
- Watch BSP MP Rakesh Pandey's son brandish a gun outside Hyatt hotel in Delhi [Video]
- #MeToo: Union Minister MJ Akbar to have 6 lawyers and not 97, confirms law firm
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana: Govt wants Telangana to return Rs 190 cr after it fails to meet PM's housing targets
- #MeToo: MJ Akbar returns to India; will issue statement on sexual harassment allegations
- US airman who claimed to have seen alien evidence on moon dies in horrific bike accident
- Jamal Khashoggi was beheaded and cut into pieces alive after gruesome 7-minute torture
- #MeToo: I was stripped at 7, gang-raped at 12, tasted my own blood performing oral sex, reveals Harish Iyer
- Sabarimala LIVE: Protests intensify as women wait to enter temple; section 144 imposed
- Who is Suhasini Raj? Lady journalist forced to abandon Sabarimala trek mid-way amid protests