A cyclone with hurricane-force winds made landfall on Yemens Arabian Sea coast on Tuesday (3 November), flooding the countrys fifth-largest city Mukalla and sending thousands of people fleeing for shelter. Officials and meteorologists say the storm is the most intense in decades in the arid country, whose storm response is hampered by poverty and a raging civil war.
Nov 4, 2015
Science & Health
Mexicos Colima or Fire volcano erupted once again on Sunday (1 November), as its period of activity rolls on. There were five explosions from between 8.00am and 11.48am local time. Ash emanating from the volcano reached as high as 1,500 metres into the sky.
Nov 2, 2015
Mexicos Popocatepetl volcano erupted on Thursday (29 October), belching ash and smoke across blue skies, authorities reported. A spectacular column of ash erupted from the volcano at 8.57am local time. The volcano is located 50 miles southeast of the capital, Mexico City.
Oct 30, 2015
Chiles Atacama Desert has turned into a mauve-coloured carpet of flowers following a downpour of rain from the countrys north that has seen the normally arid region turn to a psychedelic wonderland of shades of purple. This phenomenon takes place every five to seven years but this is the most spectacular blossoming the region has seen in the past 18 years.
Oct 29, 2015
Costa Ricas Turrialba volcano belched a column of gas and ash high into the sky on Tuesday (26 October), the latest in a series of eruptions at the majestic volcano. According to officials, the eruption occurred at 8.37am and was a little bigger than recent activity at the site. Geologist Floribet Vega said that dozens of eruptions have been registered at Turrialba in recent days.
Oct 28, 2015
Edward the baby two-toed sloth was given pumpkin by zookeepers to celebrate his first Halloween.
Oct 23, 2015
Newly-restored archival film from around 1950 shows a beavers being parachuted in a box over Idaho as part of a re-population program.
Oct 24, 2015
Hurricane Patricia, one of the most powerful storms on record, struck Mexicos Pacific coast on Friday (23 October), threatening to inflict catastrophic damage as emergency teams scrambled to evacuate thousands of people from homes and popular beach resorts.
Oct 24, 2015
2 hours ago
- Fifa World Cup 2018 live stream: Watch Japan, Poland Group H matches on TV, online
- Royal family upset with Meghan Markle over her father's surprise interview?
- "What's the problem if a widow gets remarried?" says Vice President Venkaiah Naidu
- Netflix dismissed chief PR officer Jonathan Friedland for using N-word
- Final images and videos from the Rosetta mission show what it is like to crash on a comet
- Blood Moon: July 27 total lunar eclipse will be the longest one of the 21st century
- City Killers? NASA gears up as more than a million asteroids pose threat to Earth
- Are we the only intelligent species in observable universe? Possibly, says new research
- How cancer progresses? New tech can map it real-time