The Vietnam authorities have destroyed 2,177.5 kg of elephant ivory and 70.1 kg of rhinoceros horns. It is the first time it has taken such action, intended to demonstrate its commitment to wildlife protection.Vietnam is one of the largest consumer markets for rhino horn and a key transit point for smugglers transporting ivory to China.Around 330 African elephants and 23 rhinos were killed to make the destroyed haul, which has an estimated black market value of more than $7 million.
Nov 12, 2016
The grim reality of a British prison service nearing collapse under a record number of prisoners.
Nov 10, 2016
- What is West Nile Virus? 7-year-old boy dies in Kerala, was in isolation ward for last 10 days
- Aliens secretly living in Saturn's moon Pan? Researcher analyses NASA images to prove it
- Manohar Parrikar to be accorded state funeral with full military honours at Miramar beach
- List of names written on New Zealand terror accused Brenton Tarrant's guns
- New Zealand mosque shootings toll rises to 50, families wait to bury their dead