After a year which saw an explosion of Dengue fever infections, Thailand is bracing itself for an even worse 2016 with experts warning the number of infections may be on par with the 1987 mega-outbreak. Thailand recorded some 140,000 cases of infection last year, with 126 deaths, the highest number since the 170,000 cases of the 1987 crisis.
Jan 28, 2016
Apple forecast its first revenue drop in 13 years on 27 January and reported the slowest-ever increase in iPhone shipments as the critical Chinese market showed signs of cooling down. Despite this, the company reported revenue of $18.37bn (Â£12.83, â‚¬16.91) from Greater China, accounting for 24.2% of total revenue. Revenue from the region nearly doubled in the fourth quarter. Avneesh Saxena, Vice President of DCI Asia/Pacific, said Apple had performed well in the current economic state, but that the company will have to continue to be innovative if they want to keep their edge.
Jan 27, 2016
The mosquito-borne Zika virus could be linked to 4,000 suspected cases of microcephaly in Brazil including 49 deaths, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on 26 January. Brazil has reported 3,893 suspected cases of microcephaly, the WHO said on 22 January, over 30 times more than in any year since 2010 and equivalent to 1-2 percent of all new-borns in the state of Pernambuco, one of the worst-hit areas.
Jan 26, 2016
British taxpayers will join forces with Microsoft tycoon Bill Gates and fund a Â£3bn programme whose aim is to eradicate malaria within decades.
Jan 25, 2016
- Anil Ambani's RCom in limbo as deal with Mukesh's Jio snaps; court cases drag on
- SpiceJet to give hiring preference to employees of Jet Airways: Chairman
- Mukesh Ambani to foray into aviation sector? May buy stake in Jet, bailout Maharaja
- Pawan Hans follows Air India into divestment turbulence as election intervenes
- Is Air India skidding down the same road that Jet and Kingfisher took?