The US Electoral College met on 19 December, casting its ballots to officially confirm Republican Donald Trump as the next president. Usually the vote is a formality but protests and campaigns for the college to vote for someone else have been prominent. Meetings were held in every state capital and the District of Columbia. The electors reached the minimum 270 votes, meaning Trump will be the 45th President of the United States when he takes office on 20 January 2017.
Dec 20, 2016
Manipur crisis update: Church burnt down, more vehicles set afire as state fails to control violence
Hajj 2017 registration: India launches website for 2017 online registration — and it is in four languages
The Congolese presidents chief diplomat, Barnabe Kikaya, said on 19 December that there was no scenario in which Joseph Kabila would step down at the end of his mandate at midnight. Kikaya said a new president must be elected before Kabila may step down. Elections are not due until next year. Hundreds of anti-Kabila demonstrators defied a ban on marches against the presidents plans to stay in office past the end of his term and gathered in Kinshasa amid a heavy military presence. They demanded the president step down and organise elections that were due this month.
Dec 20, 2016
Donald Trump is now OFFICIALLY the next US president; clinches more than 270 Electoral College votes
Snowfall in Gulmarg raises hopes of tourist arrivals in J&K; Srinagar, Leh to witness sub-zero temperatures this week
- Lok Sabha 2019 Election guide: Here is the full schedule and everything you need to know
- Here's all you need to know about IAF's game-changing Chinook helicopters [VIDEO]
- Andhra candidates declare crores of assets while filing for nomination ahead of 2019 Lok Sabha elections
- NASA says meteor, alien researcher says UFO: Mystery continues over Bering Sea incident
- Student answers exam the epic way, with due references to Baahubali, KGF; goes viral