Nadia Murad is now a Nobel Peace Prize nominee and works advocating for Yazidi women in Iraq.
Jun 2, 2017
Zimbabwean pastor and activist, Evan Mawarire created the #ThisFlag movement in April 2016 with a simple video that spread across social media and created a movement that inspired thousands of Zimbabweans. At the 2017 Oslo Freedom Forum, he told his story and shared his views with Newsweek on the future of his home nation, Zimbabwe.
Jun 1, 2017
Around 1,100 hunger-striking Palestinian prisoners ended their 40-day fast. They reached a compromise with Israel on additional family visits. Israel agreed to allow the inmates a second family visit each per month. 18 prisoners are being treated in hospital because of the hunger strike.Palestinians rallied behind the hunger strikers as national heroes. More than 6,000 Palestinians are currently in prison for offences linked to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
May 27, 2017
A first-of-its-kind ambulance taxi service created by the Vodafone Foundation to save the lives of high-risk pregnant women in two Tanzanian districts the size of Belgium, reduced maternal mortality rates by 27% in its first year.
May 22, 2017
Ensaf Haidars visit to the UK marks the five year anniversary of her husbands arrest.
May 19, 2017
A year ago few would have believed that Hassan Rouhani would struggle to win re-election in Iran. But when Iran goes to the polls on 19 May, Rouhanis future is far from certain. Hardliners have coalesced around Ebrahim Raisi, a 56-year-old cleric that is sceptical of Irans nuclear deal with the West and is understood to have the favor of Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Irans Supreme Leader.
May 17, 2017
#YellowSunday, a Congolese–led initiative, is hoping to raise funds to enable 1,000 women living in conflict and post-conflict zones in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) to train as nurses.
May 18, 2017
The first two chicks of the year hatched at London Zoos penguin colony on Easter Monday (17 April), and theyve been seen on camera for the first time. Two Humboldt penguin chicks are now being hand-reared by keepers, after their parents were unable to care for them.
Apr 27, 2017
Politicians will be confronted if they use toxic language during the general election campaign, Amnesty International UK warned on Friday 28 April. Kate Allen, director of the human rights group, told IBTimes UK that her organisation will call out such behaviour.What politicians say influences public opinion and influences behaviour and there we want them to be careful, she said.
Apr 28, 2017
The beating of Rodney King sparked the infamous 1992 LA Riots that lasted six days, left 55 people dead and another 2,000 injured. Over $1 billion worth of property was also damaged.
Apr 29, 2017
Queen of Dhwayah 2017: Kerala's next initiative to boost transgender; first-ever beauty pageant for third gender in India
9 hours ago
- Selena Gomez birthday: What's The Weeknd's plan for the former flame?
- Why do people believe outlandish conspiracy theories and obvious hoaxes?
- End of the road for Julian Assange? Embassy planning to withdraw asylum
- Xiaomi Mi A2, A2 Lite Global Launch: Quick facts on upcoming Android One series phones
- After saying women shouldn't pluck and shape eyebrows, Darul Uloom issues fatwa against waxing and shaving
- UFO researcher spots bizarre flying object in the skies, and it is not meteor
- Bengaluru student accuses Bigg Boss 11 contestant Bandgi Kalra of cheating him via fake iPhone X ad on Instagram
- Manipur University standoff: Students and staff relentless in agitation against Vice Chancellor
- Passports of 8 NRI husbands cancelled for dumping their wives