A study published in the peer-reviewed journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, has concluded that 30% of the 27,600 terrestrial vertebrate species evaluated are losing populations. According to Gerardo Ceballos, study co-author and Ecology professor at the National Autonomous University of Mexico, if this trend continues, at the end of the century 70% of these species would be lost.
Jul 19, 2017
Science & Health
The decision to leave the reef off of the list is a big political win for the Australian government, who have come under criticism for their management of the lucrative tourist attraction.
Jul 6, 2017
Great Barrier Reef left off UNESCO in danger list despite concern over coral bleaching and water quality
Watch iridescent snakes, sloths and a kaleidoscope of butterflies as indigenous Ecuadorian guide Kamanja Panashekung takes you through the Amazon rainforest, to explain why conservation of the lungs of the planet matters.
Jun 8, 2017
Ghost gear, or discarded fishing equipment, can kill hundreds of thousands of marine animals a year. Conservationists and volunteers are working to clean up as much of the gear as possible to save wildlife.
Jun 8, 2017
Fires in the countryside east of Cape Town forced evacuations, including in the popular resort town of Knysna, on June 7, local media reported. Video posted to a social media website showed a building in Knysna burning while flames engulfed the hillsides around the town.
Jun 8, 2017
9 hours ago
- Princess Diana's never-seen-before handwritten letter reveals her love for chocolate before her battle with bulimia
- Fifa World Cup: Iranian women the real winners as decades-old stadium ban lifted for Spain tie
- Germany fan designs flag with bras and panties to inspire Joachim Low's World Cup team in Russia
- Chhattisgarh: Man rapes, murders his four-year-old granddaughter, held
- NASA accidentally exposed life on Mars? Bizarre alien figure spotted in shocking clip
- Addiction explained: Here's why the brain chooses alcohol over healthier alternatives
- Japan's Hayabusa2 mission to return a sample of an asteroid has almost reached its target
- Summer Solstice 2018: Longest day of the year - why it happens, what you need to know
- Scientists discover over 100 planets with possible habitable exomoons