California Governor Jerry Brown declared a state of emergency on 6 January, following a gas leak that sent huge clouds of methane into the skies. The gas leak in Los Angeles has been sickening nearby residents for more than two months. Footage handed out by the Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) showed infra-red footage of the gas leak.
Jan 8, 2016
Science & Health
Flash flood warnings remained in effect in the San Diego area on 6 January as an El NiÃ±o-strengthened storm brought widespread rain to drought-stricken California. Several abandoned cars were seen almost entirely submerged at a flooded intersection, as heavy rains flooded parts of San Diego County.
Jan 7, 2016
Residents in the Bolivian city of El Alto, a chaotic sprawl high in the Andes, were surprised when heavy winds hit the city on 29 December. Local media reported that 90 houses were partially destroyed in three neighbourhoods of District Eight, due to the gale force winds.
Dec 31, 2015
A lorry driver and his passenger were among those rescued from their vehicles as the River Nith in Dumfries in Scotland burst its banks on 30 December, after heavy rain and gales from Storm Frank battered northern parts of the UK. Separately, 12 people were rescued from a bus that became trapped in floodwaters in nearby Ayrshire, both in southwest Scotland.
Dec 31, 2015
15 hours ago
- Princess Diana's never-seen-before handwritten letter reveals her love for chocolate before her battle with bulimia
- Fifa World Cup: Iranian women the real winners as decades-old stadium ban lifted for Spain tie
- Germany fan designs flag with bras and panties to inspire Joachim Low's World Cup team in Russia
- Chhattisgarh: Man rapes, murders his four-year-old granddaughter, held
- NASA accidentally exposed life on Mars? Bizarre alien figure spotted in shocking clip
- Addiction explained: Here's why the brain chooses alcohol over healthier alternatives
- Summer Solstice 2018: Longest day of the year - why it happens, what you need to know
- Yoga and meditation may lead to an inflated ego, study says
- How cancer progresses? New tech can map it real-time