China-backed Carrie Lam has become Hong Kong’s first female chief executive. The 59-year-old was elected by the Election Committee with 777 out of 1,194 votes. The committee consists largely of Beijing loyalists and Lam is considered fiercely pro-Beijing.Protesters outside the polling site called the election a sham since almost none of Hong Kongs 7.3 million voters had a right to vote.Lam’s win is likely an attempt to smooth relations between the Mainland and the city.
Mar 26, 2017
Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal promises to abolish residential house tax if AAP wins civic polls in capital
Campaigner are marching through London to protest the UK’s Brexit decision. The United for Europe march coincides with the 60th anniversary of the Treaty of Rome.Protesters march from Park Lane to the Palace of Westminster, location of the recent terror attack. Some protesters were carrying yellow flowers to commemorate the attack’s victims.Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron, Nick Clegg, David Lammy and Jonathan Bartley are attending the march. Prime Minister Theresa May is expected to trigger Article 50 on 29 March to begin the exit process.
Mar 25, 2017
- Where is MBS? Why isn't Saudi Arabia quashing rumours of his death outright?
- Mamata Banerjee trolled for reprimanding DGP at HD Kumaraswamy's oath-taking ceremony in Karnataka [Video]
- PM Narendra Modi to contest 2019 elections from Odisha's temple town Puri?
- Who is Radhika Kumaraswamy? All you need to know about wife of Karnataka's new chief minister
- Rohingya insurgents massacred about 100 Hindus in Myanmar, says Amnesty International