Colombias Marxist National Liberation Army (ELN) rebels began official peace talks with the government on 7 February, in a bid to end their part in a five-decade conflict. The ELN is hoping to get an agreement like that negotiated with the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC). The negotiations will cover similar issues such as political participation, disarmament and compensation for victims.
Feb 8, 2017
A large fire destroyed more than 1,000 homes in Tondo, Manila, on the 7 February. The flames started near gate 7 in the Parola Compound and quickly spread to adjoining shanties, according to Senior Superintendent Wilberto Tiu. At least seven people were injured and more than 15,000 shanty town residents lost their homes.
Feb 8, 2017
PM Modi in Ghaziabad: 'Uttar Pradesh can become India's Uttam Pradesh if they choose the right government'
Social activists take law into their hands against murder suspect, corruption accused 'to teach them a lesson'
Assembly and municipal elections 2017: Will Congress-SP and Hardik Patel-Shiv Sena come together against PM Modi?
Tamil Nadu: AIADMK proposes, Sasikala disposes of Panneerselvam; Twitter rebounds with 'paneer' jokes
- Devastating earthquake could jolt the planet this weekend, researcher warns authorities
- How did Sachin Pilot and Sara Abdullah meet? A love story that goes beyond religion and politics
- Indian supermarket chain in UAE shuts; staff, suppliers left in the lurch
- India's death penalty problem: Speed up executions or rethink on judicial murder?
- Mysterious UFO spotted near SpaceX dragon before interruption in live feed