Former Belgium Prime Minister Guy Verhofstadt, who is also president of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe (ALDE) group, declared that it is “time for change” on Friday (6 January). The politicians will need a majority of 376 votes to win the presidency. Verhofstadt’s ALDE have just 69 MEPs, while the S and Ds have 189 seats and the EPP have 216 MEPs.The first round of voting will commence on 17 January, with just months before Theresa May plans to invoke Article 50 – the mechanism to split from the EU – and start Brexit talks.
Jan 6, 2017
US Vice President Joe Biden slammed U.S. President-elect Donald Trump and said it was time for him to grow up during an interview with PBS NewsHour conducted at the White House on 5 January.Show host Judy Woodruff was asking Biden about Trumps use of Twitter in recent days in which he called Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer the head clown for his work in defending the Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare.
Jan 6, 2017
UP Election 2017: Akhilesh corners Mulayam by freezing party bank accounts as SP family feud gets brutal
Shashi Tharoor detained in Kerala for leading protest against notes ban; released after brief detention
Beyonce, Oprah lead star brigade at Obama's farewell party, as Donald Trump struggles to find celebrities for his inauguration
UP Elections 2017: Over 250 Samajwadi Party MLAs and MLCs support Akhilesh Yadav, signed affidavits to be submitted to EC
News roundup: Can Indian economy survive basic pay to citizens, India bans import of skins of reptiles, mink, fox and chinchillas, and more
11 hours ago
- India vs West Indies: Shimron Hetmeyer scores hundred to hand hosts a tough chase
- End of 'Good Times'? Embattled tycoon Vijay Mallya might lose swanky London mansion
- Delhi sees a dramatic dip in murders and thefts; police claim a 20-75% drop in crime rate
- Uttar Pradesh: Monkeys stone man to death; victim's family files FIR against them
- Cloaking technology? Clouds shaped like alien UFO mothership spotted in California skies
- BJP tickets for MS Dhoni, Gautam Gambhir? India cricketers may contest 2019 elections - Report
- Uttar Pradesh on high alert for Zika virus; AAI to monitor passengers showing symptoms
- Facebook on expansion spree, to open office in Bengaluru
- Are India's super-rich and teeming tribe of millionaires paying all their taxes?