Three suspected pirates were handed over to Somali authorities by the Chinese navy. The pirates had tried to attack a merchant ship in the Gulf of Aden when they were captured.Indian and Chinese naval vessels nearby responded to the crews call for help. The three suspects will be tried on piracy-related charges.The number of attacks have declined since 2013, following tightened security on shipping but attacks spiked again this year following a severe drought in Somalia.
May 6, 2017
Three men responsible for a violent, pre-planned attack in which a teenager was beaten and stabbed to death have been jailed. Both Ali Zahawy, seen in the video holding the knife, and Rodney Mukasa were sentenced to life imprisonment, along with accomplice Fabio Cela recording the video, was sentenced to 16 years imprisonment.
May 5, 2017
Violence has erupted in many Brazilian cities after protests against planned austerity measures sparked outrage. Masked protesters torched buses and clashed with police.President Michel Temer wants to implement austerity measures to fight the countrys financial crisis. These include cuts to pensions and extending the retirement age. Labour unions called the first general strike in 20 years as a reaction to the cuts.
Apr 29, 2017
Floridian Sheyla Veronica White was convicted after investigators unpicked her workplace compensation claim.
May 4, 2017
Bilkis Bano gangrape case: Bombay High Court upholds life term of 11 accused; rejects death penalty plea filed by CBI
Maoist menace in Maharashtra: 1 martyred, 11 injured in extremists' ambush on security forces in Bhamragad
- Researcher claims he found UFO on moon's Waterman crater, seeks Elon Musk's attention
- Two dead as under-construction building collapses in Karnataka's Dharwad
- BJP announces seat-sharing for Lok Sabha elections in Bihar; will join hands with JD(U) and LJP
- Pawan Kalyan's Jana Sena announces 3rd list for Lok Sabha elections in Andhra Pradesh
- Madhya Pradesh horror: Minor girl gang-raped, beheaded by brothers, uncle