Ben Stokes has been added to the England squad for the third Test against India, starting August 18 in Nottingham, after the all-rounder was found not guilty of affray on Tuesday. 

The 27-year-old was cleared unanimously after a week-long trial that began on August 6 by a jury consisting of six men and as many women.

Stokes was accused of knocking two men unconscious during a street brawl in Bristol in September 2017 but the jurors found that the English cricketer was acting in self-defense.

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) released a statement on Tuesday afternoon, saying their Cricket Discipline Commission (CDC) would independently investigate the incident, which created a storm and let to a temporary suspension of Stokes and Alex Hales, who was with the all-rounder on a fateful evening in Bristol.

"Now that the legal proceedings have concluded, the disciplinary process for Ben Stokes and Alex Hales can be scheduled by the Cricket Discipline Commission [CDC]," the ECB release said.

"Ben Stokes will now join the England squad for the third Specsavers Test against India, which starts at Trent Bridge on Saturday.

"Considerable detail has been heard in this week-long court case and, in due course, there will be a range of matters for the Board to fully consider."

Stokes could still face sanctions as the CDC will take into account the all-rounder was out till the wee hours in the middle of an ODI series and that he was "really very drunk", according to reports.

However, the CDC is likely to consider that Stokes has already missed the Ashes 2017/18 series as he was suspended by the ECB in the aftermath of the incident. Hales had also missed the last two ODIs of the series against the West Indies last year.

Ben Stokes
File photo of England all-rounder Ben Stokes.Stu Forster/Getty Images

What did Stokes tell the court

During the trial, the court was told that Stokes lost control after drinking heavily. He is believed to have had at least 10 drinks, including vodka and beer before the fight broke out at around 2 am, hours after England had beaten West Indies in an ODI fixture.

The prosecutors alleged that Stokes abused the doorman of a nightclub in Bristol after the latter denied the cricketer re-entry. He also mocked two gay men before getting knocking the two men — Ryan Ali and Ryan Hale — unconscious.

Stokes did not deny punching Ali and Hale but had maintained throughout the trial that he acted in self-defense. He also insisted he had to intervene as Ali, who was left with a broken eye socket and Hale were mocking the two openly gay men.

Footage from CCTV and a witness' mobile phone showed Stokes throwing numerous punches during the brawl. Ali was also seen turning his beer bottle upside down and sending out threats while Hale was seen running towards the group of men.

Ali, Stokes' co-defendant, was also cleared off affray charges. The two men shook hands after the jurors pronounced the verdict earlier today.

Stokes' wife, Clare, and agent, Neil Fairbrother broke down after the verdict while the cricketer closed his eyes in relief without showing a lot of emotions.

Ben Stokes and wife Clare
Ben Stokes along with wife Clare at Bristol Crown Court in Bristol.ADRIAN DENNIS/AFP/Getty Images