Legendary Bollywood actress Sridevi, who died on February 24 in Dubai, has finally been cremated. The last rites of the actress took place at around 5:30 pm at the Vile Parle Seva Samaj Crematorium and Hindu Cemetery, next to Pawan Hans, SV Road in Vile Parle, Mumbai.
Boney Kapoor lit the funeral pyre while performing the last rites of his wife Sridevi. The entire Kapoor clan, including her daughters Janhvi Kapoor, Khushi Kapoor and step-son Arjun Kapoor, was present at the cremation grounds.
Bollywood celebrities, including Shah Rukh Khan, Katrina Kaif, Jeetendra, Rani Mukerji, Farhan Akhtar, Arjun Rampal, Randhir Kapoor, Tabu, Prasoon Joshi and Rajkumar Hirani, also attended her funeral.
Here are the updates on Sridevi's last journey:
- Sridevi cremated with state honors. Her husband Boney Kapoor lit the funeral fire, according to Deccan Chronicle.
- Veteran actor Jeetendra and filmmakers Rajkumar Hirani and Vidhu Vinod Chopra leave the crematorium after her funeral.
- Last rites ceremony of the actress begins at Vile Parle Seva Samaj Crematorium in Mumbai, ANI reported.
- Katrina Kaif arrives at the crematorium for the last rites of the actress
- Sonam Kapoor gets annoyed as she reaches the cremation ground.
- Jhanvi Kapoor's Dhadak co-star Ishaan Khattar has reached the cremation ground
- Siddharth Kapoor, Vidya Balan and Farhan Akhtar arrive at the crematorium
- Lara Dutta, Mahesh Bhupathi, Arjun Rampal, Javed Akhtar and Shabana Azmi arrive at the crematorium
- Anupam Kher, who has worked Sridevi in several popular films like Chaalbaaz, Lamhe and Chandni, arrived at the crematorium to pay his last respect.
- Hundreds of mourners gathered outside Vile Parle Seva Samaj Crematorium.
- Shah Rukh Khan arrives at the cremation ground to pay last respects to the actress. Prasoon Joshi, Randhir Kapoor and Rajiv Kapoor also arrive at Seva Samaj Crematorium
- Here's a view of the crowd gathered to catch the last glimpse of the Bollywood's icon
- Truck carrying Sridevi's body reaches Seva Samaj Crematorium near Pawan Hans crematorium in Vile Parle
- Anil Ambani arrives at Vile Parle Seva Samaj Crematorium
- Veteran Bollywood actress' last rites to begin shortly.
- Sridevi's fans are following the truck in which she is being taken to the crematorium.
- The police deployed at the Celebration Sports Club has resorted to lathi charge in order to control the crowd, reports Hindustan Times.
- Sridevi's husband Boney Kapoor, stepson Arjun Kapoor and brother Anil Kapoor are also in the truck with her mortal remains.
- Here's a video of the state honors being given to the late actress.
- Sridevi's body will be cremated with state honors.
- The late actress' body has been draped in the national flag.
- Sridevi's body is being taken to the crematorium in a truck decorated with white daisies. The truck also bears a photo of the veteran Bollywood actress.
- Sushmita Sen has said that several fans of Sridevi have gathered outside the sports complex.
- Telugu film actor and politician Chiranjeevi has reached Mumbai to pay his last respects to Sridevi.
- Hema Malini has commended the arrangements that have been made as part of Sridevi's last rituals.
Arrangements were so well made that the whole atmosphere was tranquil, everything was smooth & executed with finesse - befitting the departed soul. Goodbye dear friend!?— Hema Malini (@dreamgirlhema) February 28, 2018
- Hema Malini, who has already paid her last respects to Sridevi has taken to Twitter to express her grief on the actress' death.
Paid my last respects to Sridevi. The entire industry was there grieving, some on the verge of breakdown. Such was her aura & magic in films. She lay there, beautiful in a red saree, serene in death & totally at peace. ?— Hema Malini (@dreamgirlhema) February 28, 2018
- Vivek Oberoi, Rajkummar Rao and Dimple Kapadia have dropped in to offer condolences to the Sridevi's family.
- 32 fans from Ghatkopar in Mumbai have arrived on bikes to pay their last respects to Sridevi.
- The actress will be honoured with a gun salute and the body will be draped in the national flag, said The Indian Express.
- Neha Dhupia, Malaika Arora and Jackie Shroff have reached the venue where Sridevi's body has been kept.
- Sridevi will be cremated with state honors.
- The Maharashtra Police band has also reached the sports complex to pay respects to the legendary actress.
- Alka Yagnik, Mahima Chaudhry, Neil Nitin Mukesh and his father have dropped in to offer their condolences to Sridevi.
- Vidya Balan, her husband Siddharth Roy Kapur and Deepika Padukone has also arrived at the Lokhandwala's complex.
- Shahid Kapoor along with Mira Kapoor and a few other Bollywood stars like Shabana Azmi, Raveena Tandon have been spotted at the Lokhandwala complex to pay their last respects to the veteran actress.
- Sridevi's mortal remains have been kept in a glass box and a picture of her has been placed in front of it. The case has been decorated with white garlands, reported The Indian Express.
- The Kapoor family is seen greeting the crowd as Boney Kapoor and his daughters Jhanvi and Khushi look upset, said the news outlet.
- John Abraham, Vivek Oberoi, Aditya Roy Kapur and Sanjay Leela Bhansali have reached the venue in Lokhandwala to pay tribute to Sridevi.
- Students of a primary school owned by Sridevi's family also paid tributes to the later actress
- The Green Acres society where Sridevi lived has cancelled their Holi celebrations as a sign of respect to the late actress.
- Imtiaz Ali, Tanisha Mukerji, Ajay Devgn and Kajol have been spotted at the Lokhandwala complex.
- Fans have reportedly refused to leave the area where Sridevi's body has been kept.
"Police should cooperate with us. We are here to see her for the last time. We won't come tomorrow," Hindustan Times quoted a fan as saying.
- Here are few visuals of the Bollywood stars arriving at Lokhandwala's Celebration Sports Club.
- As several fans of Sridevi have gathered at the condolence meeting venue, the situation there is quite chaotic. Fans have reportedly climbed on to trees to get a glimpse of the late actress.
- Choreographer Saroj Khan, actress Jaya Bachchan and Madhuri Dixit have dropped in to pay their last respect to the "Sadma" actress.
- The legendary actress will take her last journey in a truck covered with white flowers, say reports.
- The Lokhandwala's Celebration Sports Club has been decorated with white flowers. Sridevi had said that "everything should be white when she dies", sources were quoted as saying in an ABP report.
- Tabu, Subhash Ghai and Akshaye Khanna have dropped in at Celebration Sports Club to offer their condolences to the Kapoor family.
- Miss Universe pageant winner 1994 Sushmita Sen and a few other Bollywood stars like Jaya Prada and Ravi Kishan have been spotted at the Celebration Sports Club.
- Bollywood star Aishwarya Rai has also reached the Bollywood actress' condolence ceremony.
- Sonam Kapoor's brother Harshvardhan Kapoor and Sridevi's brother-in-law Sanjay Kapoor have reached the venue, where the actress' condolence ceremony is being held.
- Hema Malini, Esha Deol arrive to pay their last respects to Sridevi in Mumbai's Celebration Sports Club.
- Indian film director, producer, and actor, Satish Kaushik has also dropped in to offer his last tribute to the late Bollywood Diva.
- Here are a few visuals of other Bollywood stars, who have reached Celebration Sports Club to pay their last respect to the late actress.
- Aaditya Thackeray, the son of Uddhav Thackeray of Shiv Sena, and grandson of Bal Thackeray has also been spotted at the venue where Sridevi's body has been kept.
- Filmmaker Farah Khan, Sridevi's niece Sonam Kapoor and Anand Ahuja have arrived at Celebration Sports Club.
- Initial reports had said that Sridevi had died of cardiac arrest.
- Television and film actor Annu Kapoor has arrived at the Lokhandwala's Celebration Sports Club to offer condolences to Sridevi. He has urged everybody to pray for the Kapoor family.
It's media job to ask questions, it's people's call if they want to throw it in the dustbin or not. At this moment, family is in a lot of pain. Daughters have lost their mother at such a young age. We should pray for them: Anu Kapoor at Celebration Sports Club in Mumbai #Sridevi pic.twitter.com/nYhx1Q7qva— ANI (@ANI) February 28, 2018
- Farah Khan and Urvashi Rautela are currently paying their last respects to Sridevi, say reports.
- Actor Arbaaz Khan arrives at Celebration Sports Club in Mumbai.
- The Kapoor family including Arjun Kapoor, the Marwah family and Karan Johar have also reached the venue where the condolence ceremony will start in a while.
- Sridevi's mortal remains have been brought to Lokhandwala's Celebration Sports Club.
- The address of the venue where fans can pay their last tribute to Sridevi is Celebration Sports Club, Garden No 5, Lokhandwala Complex, Andheri West.
- Here are a few visuals from Sridevi's native village in Tamil Nadu's Meenampatti
- Indian music composer and singer Bappi Lahiri has said that Sridevi will "always remain our superstar."
"I still can't believe she is no more with us, my heart sinks thinking about it.Never say goodbye! She will always remain an integral part of our industry. She will always remain our superstar," Lahiri told IANS. He also dedicated the song "Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna" to her.
- Rishi Kapoor, who has worked with Sridevi in two movies, took to Twitter late on Tuesday to express his anger about being pestered for a reaction to the actress' death.
- A few Bollywood celebrities like Salman Khan were spotted at Sridevi's 'Green Acres' residence to pay his respect to the late veteran actress.
- The Bollywood actress' mortal remains will be kept at Lokhandwala's Celebration Sports Club, according to reports.
- A police official has said that around 100 policemen were stationed near Sridevi's Lokhandwala building on Tuesday night. Around 250 policemen will be deployed on Wednesday at the venue where her body will be kept for paying the final tribute.
"The same number of policemen will be part of the funeral procession," a police official said.
- Several policemen have been deployed outside the late actress' home.
"We have provided additional security at the residence in order to avoid law and order situation," Mumbai police spokesperson Deepak Devraj told PTI.
- Sridevi's fans have started gathering outside her residence in Lokhandwala.
Sridevi ji mere bhai ke brain tumour ke operation ke liye help ki thi. Uss samay unhone mujhe 1 lakh ki madad ki & hospital se 1 lakh maaf bhi karwaaye: Jatin Valmiki, a visually impaired man from Uttar Pradesh who has been waiting outside #Sridevi's house since last two days. pic.twitter.com/VkYGEx7PrB— ANI (@ANI) February 28, 2018
Unki wajah se mera bhai aaj zinda hai. Main kuch nahi kar sakta unke (Sridevi) liye, lekin main kam se kam unki antim yatra mein toh shaamil ho hi sakta hoon: Jatin Valmiki, a visually impaired man from Uttar Pradesh who has been waiting outside #Sridevi's house. pic.twitter.com/uXnU74B6Bn— ANI (@ANI) February 28, 2018
- The cremation ceremony will take place at 3.30 pm at Vile Parle Seva Samaj Crematorium and Hindu Cemetery, next to Pawan Hans, SV Road, Vile Parle West, on Wednesday, February 28.
- Sridevi's last journey will begin at 2 pm from her residence in Andheri.
- Condolences and last respects will be paid on Wednesday from 9.30 am to 12.30 am at Celebration Sports Club, Garden No 5, Lokhandwala Complex, in Andheri.
- Her body reached India at about 9:45 pm on Tuesday and was taken to her residence in Lokhandwala, Andheri.
- Her mortal remains were sent to India after the Dubai Public Prosecution issued a clearance letter to her family on Tuesday, February 27.
Post Mortem reports
The post-mortem report had revealed that Sridevi died of accidental drowning after she lost consciousness.
- Though forensic reports suggested traces of alcohol in Sridevi's blood, many of her acquaintances said the late Bollywood star never consumed liquor.
- Earlier, reports had claimed the actress had died following a cardiac arrest.