At least three people were killed and over 50 are feared trapped as two buildings collapsed in Greater Noida's Shah Beri village later on Tuesday, July 17.

  • Among those feared trapped are a one-year-old baby, her parents and her grandmother.
  • The three people arrested are reportedly a builder and two of his associates.
  • Search and rescue operations are on at the scene.
  • Uttar Pradesh chief minister Yogi Adityanath has now asked the Gautam Budh Nagar district magistrate and the police to monitor relief and rescue operations.
  • The cause of the collapse is yet to be ascertained.
Noida building collapse
Noida building collapseANI
  • "As of now we don't know what happened, it is too early to say anything in that regard. Our motive right now is to save any life that is left. Rescue operations by NDRF are underway: Kumar Vineet, ADM, Gautam Budh Nagar, told ANI.
  • At least 100 emergency workers are present and are using steel cutters to clear the area and look for those trapped.
  • The police have arrested three people in connection with the incident.
  • They are also said to be on the lookout for the owners of the two buildings.
  • The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) was called in from Ghaziabad and are at the spot.
  • A dog squad has also been pressed into action. 
  • Until now, three bodies have been pulled out, but many are feared trapped. 
  • Eyewitnesses have said that there were many construction workers present in the building when it came crashing down.
  • The NDRF believes that chances of finding survivors are low 
  • "Two male dead bodies have been recovered. Four NDRF teams and dog squad are present on the spot, chances of any victim being alive are scant. Operations will continue until all victims are rescued," NDRF Commandant PK Srivastava told ANI.
  • While emergency teams are working to rescue those trapped, locals have said that the help arrived quite late.
  • They said that the buildings in Uttar Pradesh's Greater Noida collapsed around 8.30 pm on Tuesday, but help arrived only around 10 pm. 
  • "It took such a long time since the collapse but no rescue workers have reached. Not even an ambulance," NDTV quoted Praveen Srivastava, a resident of the area, as saying.