Google has released the Android N Developer Preview to Sony's Xperia Z3, making it the first non-Nexus series to get the latest OS version.
Google first rolled out the Android N Developer Preview to select devices — the Nexus 6, Nexus 9, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Nexus Player, Pixel C and General Mobile 4G (Android One) — in March. Now, it has been made available to Xperia Z3 models D6603 and D6653.
The new Android N comes with multi-window (aka split screen) support, Direct Reply Notification, Bundled Notification and a much-improved Doze power-saving feature.
The Xperia Z3 series models will receive five more preview updates before the official OS is released to the public in the third quarter of 2016.
Read more: How to enrol for Android Beta programme
Tutorial: How to install Android N Developer Preview on Sony Xperia Z3:
- Make sure you have installed Xperia Companion version 1.1.24 or later on the PC. If not, download the latest version from here.
- Connect your compatible Z3 device to a computer with a USB cable.
- Xperia Companion will open automatically
- Hold down the ALT key on your computer and click "Software repair"on the home screen, then follow the guide.
- User will be asked to disconnect and turn off the device, then to reconnect whilst holding down the "Volume Down" key to start the software flashing [Note: It will take 10-15 minutes for the installation procedure to complete]
- Users then head to "Settings" >> select "About phone" to confirm the installation
[Note: Users can return to factory settings at any point of time by connecting back to Xperia Companion and follow the Software repair guide]