Legendary Bollywood actress Sridevi died on the night of February 24 at around 11 pm in Dubai. Her mortal remains are likely to reach Mumbai on Tuesday after the authorities delayed the clearance for repatriation of the body on February 26.
Here are the latest updates:
- Post-mortem reports claim that Sridevi died of accidental drowning after she lost consciousness.
- Though forensic reports suggested that traces of alcohol was found in Sridevi's blood, Times Now reported that a family friend of the Sridevi has claimed that the late Bollywood actor never consumed liquor.
- Earlier reports had said that the veteran actress had died after suffering a massive cardiac arrest.
- Shah Rukh Khan and his wife Gauri Khan also went to Anil Kapoor''s residence on Monday night.
- India's Ambassador to the UAE Navdeep Singh took to Twitter to address rumors surrounding her death.
"The media interest in the untimely demise of #Sridevi is understandable. But the frenzy of speculation does not help. Imp to note that: 1. We are working with local authorities to ensure that mortal remains can be sent to India at the earliest. We are on the job," Suri tweeted.
"2. We are in regular contact with the family of #Sridevi and other well-wishers. We share their pain. 3. Our experience in similar cases tells us that it does take 2-3 days to complete processes 4. We leave it to the experts to determine the cause of demise Let's be responsible."
The media interest in untimely demise of #Sridevi is understandable. But the frenzy of speculation does not help. Imp to note that:— IndAmbUAE (@navdeepsuri) February 26, 2018
1. We are working with local authorities to ensure that mortal remains can be sent to India at the earliest. We are on the job.
2. We are in regular contact with the family of #Sridevi and other well- wishers. We share their pain.— IndAmbUAE (@navdeepsuri) February 26, 2018
3. Our experience in similar cases tells us that it does take 2-3 days to complete processes
4. We leave it to the experts to determine cause of demise
Let's be responsible
- India's Ambassador to the UAE Navdeep Singh Suri told the Gulf News that since the case is being referred to the public prosecution, the repatriation issue is now "open-ended". He also said that the Indian Embassy is in talks with authorities in Dubai to get the clearance as soon as possible.
- Sridevi's body will not be embalmed today and Sridevi's mortal remains are kept at Dubai's forensic department, Khaleej Times reported. Embalming most likely will take place on Tuesday.
- Anant Ambani, Shabana Azmi and Karisma Kapoor arrive at Anil Kapoor's residence
- Actor Kamal Haasan arrives at Anil Kapoor's residence to offer condolence
- Reports suggest that Sridevi had not left her hotel room for 48 hours.
- Actor Ranveer Singh and actress Deepika Padukone arrive at Anil Kapoor's residence to offer condolences.
- Sridevi's phone records are being analysed by investigators. Firstpost report suggests that phone calls from 24 to 48 hours before her death will be investigated.
- Rajya Sabha MP Amar Singh told ANI that Sridevi never consumed hard liquor.
"Sridevi ji did not drink hard liquor, she used to have wine sometimes like me and like many others in public life. I have talked to Abu Dhabi's Sheikh Al Nahyan, he assured me that all formalities and reports are complete. Her mortal remains should reach India by midnight," he told ANI.
- Veteran Choreographer Saroj Khan said that Sridevi was a strong woman and she cannot drown in a bathtub.
"She is a very strong woman, can never lose consciousness. How can a bathtub drown her? Her drowning is not possible, this I can never believe," Times Now quoted Khan as saying.
- Executive Editor of UAE's Khaleej Times, Vicky Kapur, told ABP news that the police will record Boney Kapoor's statement. Kapur said that Boney was in the room where Sridevi died.According to ANI, Dubai police is now waiting for clearance from prosecution magistrate. The officials have informed Indian authorities that Sridevi's body will be handed over to the family only after prosecution magistrate gives an approval.
- Dubai public prosecution takes over the case. There may be a delay in handing over Sridevi's mortal remains to the family.
- Sridevi's body has been released for embalming, reported Gulf News.
- Sridevi died of accidental drowning in the bathtub, said a Khaleej Times report. The report also added that examinations have revealed that traces of alcohol were found in her blood.
- Anshula Kapoor and Ameesha Patel have also been spotted at Anil Kapoor's residence.
- Celebrities like Kamal Haasan's former wife Sarika and daughters Shruti and Akshara have also arrived at Anil Kapoor's residence.
- The forensic report of Sridevi has been handed over to her family and an Indian embassy official.
"It has been sent to the Bur Dubai police station. Both the representatives have gone to the police station with it. Once it is opened by Dubai Police and the information revealed to them, then the next step in the process of repatriation will be decided," the Gulf News said.
- According to reports, the Dubai police will soon release Sridevi's body. They have said that there is no criminality involved in her death.
- The death certificate of Sridevi is likely to be issued at 2 pm as per Dubai Time (3.30 pm IST), reported Khaleej Times.
- Actress Madhuri Dixit has arrived at the residence of Anil Kapoor.
- Forensic experts in Dubai have said that Sridevi died of a heart attack, The Times of India reported.
- Preparations are going on at Pawan Hans crematorium, where Sridevi's last rites will be performed.
- If toxicology reports of Sridevi's blood and organs reveal that she died of unnatural causes, a few more investigations will be carried out, which will further delay the repatriation process, said a Gulf News report.
- Kamal Haasan will fly down to Mumbai at around 5.20 pm to meet Boney Kapoor and pay his last respect to Sridevi.
- Karan Johar and Manish Malhotra have arrived at the residence of Anil Kapoor.
- Tibetan Prime Minister-in-exile Lobsang Sangay also expressed grief over Sridevi's death.
- Choreographer and director Remo D'souza regretted that he never got an opportunity to work with Sridevi. "She was one of the few actors to take dance to another level because she was proficient at both, western and classical forms. Apart from grace, she would give great expressions which very few can do," D'souza was quoted as saying by a Firstpost report. "Now I feel bad for not getting the opportunity to choreograph her. Ahmed was lucky. This regret will always remain with me," the choreographer added.
- An English daily has claimed that the legendary actress will take her last journey in a truck covered with white flowers. "Everything should be white when she dies", sources were quoted as saying in an ABP report.
Choreographer Saroj Khan and actor Farhan Akhtar have arrived at Anil Kapoor's residence.
- Television and film actress Shabana Azmi took to Twitter to inform that she has cancelled the Holi party as a tribute to Sridevi.
Our Holi party at Janki Kurir stands cancelled on 2nd March in the wake of Sridevis passing away.— Azmi Shabana (@AzmiShabana) February 26, 2018
- Tabu and Farah Khan are also at Anil Kapoor's residence.
- Meanwhile, preparations are being made in Sridevi's Bhagya bungalow, where her mortal remains will be brought.
- The Bollywood actress' fans in Kanpur have lit candles are a sign of respect.
- Sridevi's mortal remains will take some more time to be flown back to India. Officials have claimed that as per the standard protocols, tests take up to 24 hours in the case of a person who has died outside a hospital in Dubai.
- Officials at the Indian consulate have said that it will take four more hours to complete other procedures like immigration and embalming. The police have given clearance and a forensic report has been prepared, said Khaleej Times.
The UAE-based newspaper also quoted the officials as saying that they are hoping that Sridevi's body will be ready for repatriation by 1 to 2 pm Dubai time and 2:30 pm IST.
- Actor Hrithik Roshan took to social media to share his first memory with Sridevi.
I loved her, admired her so much. My 1st ever acting shot was with Sri Devi, I was nervous in front of her n I remember her shaking her hands pretending 2b nervous cause of me just 2 boost my confidence. V had 2 laugh,n she kept laughing until I got it right. Will miss you mam pic.twitter.com/OYXfurcIFx— Hrithik Roshan (@iHrithik) February 25, 2018
- The General Department of Forensic Evidence in Dubai had conducted the autopsy of Sridevi.
- Kollywood superstar Rajinikanth has arrived in Mumbai to pay his last respects to Sridevi.
- Designer Manish Malhotra also paid tribute to Sridevi on Instagram.
- Like other Bollywood celebrities, filmmaker Karan Johar went to Anil Kapoor's residence in Mumbai to pay last respects to the veteran actress. He also took to Instagram to express his grief.
I danced to hawa Hawaii when I was in school.....I have seen every film of hers multiple times....I met her with shaking hands and feet on the sets of my fathers film GUMRAH....and felt I had arrived when she called me for the first time .....every time I met her I had a star struck moment and a fan boy vibe....I don’t think I can believe it...perhaps I don’t think I want to believe that she is no more... she is a huge reason I love the movies....I feel like Indian cinema just lost its smile....the heavens are fortunate they just inherited a gift of life.....heartbroken.....
- Sridevi, who rose to fame in the 1980s, had an estimated worth of $35 million. Besides a bungalow in Andheri West, she also owned luxurious cars like Porshe Cayenne, Audi and Ford.
- The Bollywood actress' fans are still mourning her untimely death:
Shocking news heard that India's bollywood superstar Sridevi passes away.This was very incredible news for her million of fan and lovers.I will pray to god to give peace to her soul.— Dhaval golaniya (@dhaval11997) February 26, 2018
- Fans have started gathering outside Sridevi's residence:
- Latest reports have said that the veteran actress' body will be brought to Bhagya Bungalow in Andheri (West) for the last darshan which will be held between 7 am to 10 am.
The latest rituals will be held at Pawas Hans crematorium in Vile Parle of Mumbai at noon.
The Dubai police had issued Sridevi's death certificate on Sunday. Her body is being flown to India in a private chartered flight, which was sent by Anil Ambani.
The 13-seater private jet, (Embraer-135BJ) belonging to Reliance Transport and Travel Ltd, had left for Dubai on Sunday afternoon.
Her family has said that they will send out updates as and when they receive information about the body. Here's an official statement by her family, said a Firstpost report.
Boney Kapoor, Jhanvi, Khushi and the entire Kapoor, Ayyappan and Marwah family is deeply bereaved and shocked with the untimely loss of Sridevi Kapoor. They thank the entire media for their prayers, support and sensitivity during their time of grief.
Late Sridevi Kapoor's body will arrive in India tomorrow. We will update you on all further information as and when it's available to us.
Request you to kindly reach out to us on everything related to this and we urge you to please not call the family for information on the same.
Sridevi's sudden death has come as a shock to the Bollywood industry and her fans.
#Sridevi will always remain alive in my memory. It feels awkward to speak of her in the past tense. We have lost the biggest star of our country. I still cannot believe it. It will take many years to register what has actually happened: Anupam Kher in Mumbai pic.twitter.com/Ay4MTSznDL— ANI (@ANI) February 26, 2018