After releasing the Android Oreo top-end --Galaxy S, Note and A-- series phones, Samsung will now be expanding the software update to the budget Galaxy J series starting with J5 (2017) in coming weeks.
The company has secured Wi-Fi Alliance certification for the Galaxy J5 (2017) with the Android 8.0 Oreo software. With the necessary approval, Samsung is now one step closer to officially roll out the firmware to the public. Based on the previous release, Galaxy J5 (2017) owners can expect to get a taste of Google's candy-flavoured OS in August.
What's coming in Android Oreo for Samsung Galaxy J5 (2017)?
- A notable aspect of the Android Oreo is the Rescue Party feature, which helps the device recover from constant boot loops.
- New biometric security options allow the user to disable the fingerprint reader if an unregistered fingerprint tries to open the phone more than a pre-set number of attempts.
- The Safe Browser feature intuitively detects when users unknowingly go to malicious URLs, and it will stop any spying attempts on the phone.
- It also comes with a value-added battery management feature that will allow the user to see the battery life status of the wireless earphones, so he or she can know before-hand to charge them before heading out.
- Smart Text Selection will improve copy and paste option. With the help of machine learning to recognise entities on the screen—like a complete address—users will be able to easily select the text that they want with a double tap, and even bring up an app like Maps to help during navigation.
- It also comes with the picture-in-picture feature, which enables device owners to multi-task, like checking the calendar while planning a party on a duo video call.
- Samsung is also bringing its own custom features, improved accessibility, lock screen personalisation option to improve notifications on display, card dynamic adjustment of display size. In addition, this is also a revamped calendar app, new font option for titles so that it can be displayed in dominant uppercase characters, option to use owner's image for the display and newer clock styles.
- Performance Mode has been added to the Galaxy phone that lets users optimise their smartphones to meet their specific needs by activating one of the four available modes. These are: Optimised mode (extends battery), Game mode (provides useful functions such as Game Launcher and Game Tools), Entertainment mode (enhances sound and image quality) and High-Performance mode (enables the highest quality display settings possible).