A zoomed-in image of the UFO that was spotted in Peru on 10 FebruaryYouTube grab

A purple unidentified flying object (UFO) was filmed by a television production crew in Lima, Peru.

The team was shooting for a show named "Alto al Crimen" (High Crime) in the upscale Miraflores district of Lima on 10 February, when they were interrupted by this UFO. The alien object was hovering in the distant sky near a construction area.

The host of the show, Lima Congressman Renzo Reggiardo, paused an interview to let the camera operator capture the strange purple object.

There is no official explanation on the UFO as yet.

The UFO remained motionless for some time while above the construction site.

Below is the video captured by the television crew:


A few eyewitnesses say the UFO was around for almost two hours. They further said the object was disc-shaped and appeared purple at the centre. Zoomed in image of the object revealed the UFO had a bright purple centre; but the extreme right was almost black, while the other side was a darker shade of purple. The edges also "appeared to be dynamic, changing in size," Inquistr reports.

Even though the UFO was filmed by the crew, there is no footage of the mysterious object leaving the area. Thus, how it vanished from the area also needs to be answered.

The Peru chapter of the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) is looking in to the matter and are urging more eyewitnesses who may have filmed the object from different angles to come forward.

However, MUFONPeru.org says it is possible that the object was a drone or a kite. But, eyewitnesses say the UFO hovered for far longer than any commercial drone can remain in the sky. A few others also say it might have been a misidentified comet as it remained unaffected by the winds. But, MUFON said that theory cannot be true as at one point a bird flew behind the object.

This is not the first time that a UFO has been spotted in Peru. In 2013, a series of UFO sightings forced the country's government to reactivate the Peruvian Office of Anomalous Aerial Phenomena Research (OIFAA), which had been shuttered for five years.

A few UFO enthusiasts tweeted about the incident: