A cloud of gloom hangs over Tamil Nadu as Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam supremo M Karunanidhi was laid to rest in Marina Beach on August 8.
The DMK supremo passed away on August 7 at the Kauvery Hospital in Alwarpet, Chennai. His mortal remains were kept at the city's Rajaji Hall for people to pay their final respects.
As it happened:
- Five-time Tamil Nadu CM Karunanidhi laid to rest at Marina Beach.
- The casket being lowered into the ground.
- Kalaignar's family pays him last tribute.
- The DMK chief was given 21-gun salute.
- TN governor pays last respect to DMK president.
- Shiv Sena's Sanjay Raut said described Karunanidhi as a Dravid Yodha.
- The procession reached Marina Beach at around 6:10 pm.
- The funeral procession is still on its way and could reach the burial site anytime soon. The short 2 km route between the Rajaji Hall and Marina Beach is jam packed with DMK supporters who are flocking in huge numbers to see one last glimpse of their beloved leader.
- Politicos at Karunanidhi's funeral
- Puducherry CM promises a bronze statue: The Chief Minister of Puducherry V Narayanasami took to his twitter account to promise that a bronze statue of M Karunanidhi will be raised in the Union Territory. He also said that the Karaikal By-pass road will be named in the name of Karunanidhi.
- Funeral Procession passes by Annadurai's statue: A sea of supporters is surrounding the funeral casket of Karunanidhi which is on its way to the burial ground at Marina Beach. The Hindu reports that the funeral procession has reached Wallajah Road crossing Annadurai's statue.
- DMK supporters waved Party flags during the funeral procession. The five times Chief Minister has been wrapped in the tri-colour and a DMK flag has also been placed by his side.
- Thousands pay tribute to their leader: A huge crowd has gathered on the way to the burial ground in Chennai to see their leader for the last time. People are flocking to the burial site in huge numbers as the funeral procession moves forward. This kind of a funeral procession was anticipated by all and fits well for such a huge political figure. People are seen beating their chests, beating their heads in sorrow as their leader takes his last journey.
- The DMK supremo's mortal remains are being taken to the Anna memorial burial ground at the Marina beach from Rajaji hall after politicians and dignitaries paid their last respects to the late political icon. He will be laid next to his mentor and former Chief Minister CN Annadurai.
SC refuses to entertain plea seeking stay on last rites
The apex court has refused to entertain a plea filed by Traffic Ramaswamy which seeked a stay on the last rites of the DMK chief at Marina beach. Ramaswamy had moved to the Supreme Court against the Madras High Court's order which allowed to perform the last rites of Karunanidhi at the Marina beach.
Kerala CM pays last respect
Kerala Chief Minsiter Pinarayi Vijayan reached at the Rajaji Hall in Chennai to pay his last tributes to the DMK Supremo. He was accompanied by governer P.Sathasivam and Congress leader Ramesh Chennithala.
2 dead, several injured outside Rajaji Hall
Two people have died and several others have been injured after chaos erupted at the Rajaji Hall, where Karunanidhi's body has been kept. One of the deceased has been identified as a 60-year-old Shenbagam. The injured people are undergoing treatment at Rajiv Gandhi Government General hospital, reported The Hindu.
Rahul Gandhi pays last respects at Rajaji Hall
Politicos arrive at Rajaji Hall
Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav, Rashtriya Janta Party leaders Tejaswi Yadav and Manoj Kumar Jha have arrived at Rajaji Hall.
Here's how Karunanidhi's coffin looks
The words "A person who continued to work without rest, now takes rest' written on the coffin of Karunanidhi," has been carved on his coffin.
Stalin requests cadres to remain calm
Chaos has erupted at Rajaji Hall and police have blocked the entrance in order to keep the swelling crowd from entering the venue. As a result, a few supporters have climbed up the wall to enter the Hall.
Stalin has appealed the supporters to maintain peace.
"I request the cadre to remain calm, I did not want anything for myself. All I want is a fitting tribute to Kalaignar," ANI quoted Stalin as saying.
Work under progress in Marina Beach
Construction of burial at Chennai's Marina Beach.
Karunanidhi's last journey to begin at 4 pm
The DMK said that Karunanidhi's last journey will begin at 4 pm. The journey will start at Rajaji Hall and pass through Sivananda Salai, Anna Salai, Walajah Road, and Kamarajar Salai. He will be laid to rest beside his mentor Annadurai at Marina Beach.
DMK supporter pays respect to Kalaignar
A DMK supporter got his head tonsured as mark of respect for Karunandhi, who passed away on August 7.
Ruckus erupts at Rajaji Hall
HP chief minister pays condolences
Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jairam Thakur has expressed his grief on Karunanidhi's death.
तमिलनाडु के पूर्व मुख्यमंत्री श्री एम. करुणानिधि जी के निधन का दुःखद समाचार मिला। करुणानिधि जी राजनेता के अलावा पटकथा लेखक एवं साहित्यकार भी थे। जनकल्याण के लिए उनका समर्पण हमेशा याद किया जाएगा।भगवान से प्रार्थना है कि उनकी आत्मा को शांति व शोकग्रस्त परिवार को इस समय शक्ति दें ।— Jairam Thakur (@jairamthakurbjp) August 8, 2018
Mamata Banerjee on Karunanidhi's burial space
West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee has said that she was upset when the TN government refused to provide a burial space to Karunanidhi at Marina Beach.
"I was unhappy yesterday, as the govt did not allow the Marina beach burial. I had called the CM but he was unavailable. I also personally called the PM in this regard," ANI quoted Mamata Banerjee as saying.
Modi at Rajaji Hall
Road to Anna Samadhi blocked
The road leading to Anna Samadhi in Marina beach have been barricaded by the police.
DMK workers throng Rajaji Hall
DMK workers gather at Rajaji Hall where the mortal remains of M Karunanidhi has been kept.
Preparations on for Karunanidhi's burial
Preparations are being made for Karunanidhi's burial at Marina Beach. Reports have said that earth movers have arrived at the burial site.
Both houses adjourned
Both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha has been adjourned today after paying tributes to Karunanidhi.
With profound sorrow, I've to inform the House about the sad demise of #Karunanidhi who passed away on 7 Aug 18. He served as CM of Tamil Nadu for 5 times. In his demise, country has lost highly popular & eminent personality: Sumitra Mahajan, Lok Sabha speaker, earlier today pic.twitter.com/N0qUSnoLhQ— ANI (@ANI) August 8, 2018
Modi pays last respects to DMK chief
MK Stalin breaks down
Karunanidhi's son MK Stalin breaks down after Madras High Court's allowed them to bury the former CM at Chennai's Marina beach.
Karunanidhi to be buried Marina Beach
The Madras High Court has allowed Karunanidhi's body to be buried next to his Mentor Annadurai at Marina Beach.
Chief Justice begins dictating orders
Arguments on denial of burial land by Tamil Nadu Govt at Marina beach for M Karunanidhi are is now over. The acting Chief Justice has begun dictating orders.
Hearing on burial ground for Karunanidhi underway
Justice SS Sundar has pointed out to DMK's lawyer that Karunanidhi's family members have not approached High Court.
Modi in Chennai
Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrives in Chennai to pay last respects to DMK chief Karunanidhi.
Visuals from Rajaji Hall
Violence erupts outside Rajahi Hall
DMK Supporters who have gathered outside Rajaji Hall are creating ruckus. News 18 said that the crowd has broken barricades and the police had to resort to using mild force to control them.
Rapid Action Force has been deployed outside Anna memorial at Marina beach in Chennai.
Security tightened at Marina Beach
Security has been beefed up outside Anna Memorial at Marina Beach.
Kamal Hassan at Rajaji Hall
Actor-turned-politician Kamal Haasan has arrived at Rajaji Hall to pay his last respects to former CM M Karunanidhi.
TN govt's lawyer argues case
The lawyer of the Tamil Nadu government has said that "DMK is pursuing political agenda by filing this case. DK Chief Periyar was the tallest leader of Dravidian movement. Was he buried at Marina beach?".
DMK's lawyer argues case in Madras HC
The DMK's lawyer is presenting his arguments as to why Karunanidhi should be buried in Marina beach.
- The lawyer also added that the people of Tamil Nadu will be offended if Kalaignar is not allotted a burial site in Marina beach.
"There are 1 crore DMK followers in Tamil Nadu out of 7 crore population of the state. They'll be offended if burial land is not allotted for Karunanidhi at Marina beach," the lawyer argued.
- DMK's lawyer says 'You (state govt) have announced state mourning, why not give land for burial? There's no prohibition under Central Govt protocol to allot land at Marina beach for ex-CMs
Burial at Gandhi Mandapam is not descent
The DMK's lawyer has said that burying Karunanidhi at Gandhi Mandapam is not descent.
"Anna, who is the founder of DMK, used to say my life and soul is Karunanidhi. Burying Karunanidhi next to Gandhi Mandapam cannot be termed as a decent burial," ANI quoted the lawyer as saying.
Bharat Ratna for Karunanidhi
VCK chief has demanded a Bharat Ratna for Karunanidhi.
Proceedings of Madras HC
- TN Government states in its counter affidavit that DMK chief Karunanidhi himself didn't allot land for former CM Janaki Ramachandran after understanding the protocol manual when Karunanidhi was the CM, reported ANI.
- Court records contents of counter affidavit filed by state Govt who tells Court, DMK can't challenge press release by Govt expressing inability to allot space at Marina beach for Karunanidhi.
- Madras High Court Acting Chief Justice records in his order, submissions made by DMK organising secretary RS Bharathi in his affidavit seeking burial land at Marina beach for Karunanidhi.
VCK president at Rajaji Hall
Politicos are arriving at Rajaji Hall to pay their last respects.
Hearing on for decision on burial site
The case on the burial ground had been adjourned yesterday night.
Traffic Ramaswamy's lawyer to file memorandum
Madras HC has directed Traffic Ramaswamy's lawyer to file memorandum that he has no objection to bury Karunanidhi's body at Marina beach. The Lawyer has submitted the memorandum to the Acting Chief Justice.
Politicos drop in to pay their last respects
Former Kerala CM Oommen Chandy and Deepa Jayakumar, the general secretary of MGR Amma Deepa Peraval have paid their last respects to former Tamil Nadu CM M Karunanidhi at Chennai's Rajaji Hall.
Madras HC to decide on burial site
- The lawyer of petitioner Traffic Ramaswamy said that they have no objection to the burial land for Karunanidhi. Acting Chief Justice has asked the lawyer to 'withdraw the case'.
- Tamil Nadu Govt has filed its counter affidavit in the case. Hearing in the matter is underway at Madras High Court.
- The case against denial of burial land by Tamil Nadu Govt at Marina beach is being heard at the Marina beach.
Karunanidhi's family wants burial site in Marina Beach
Karunanidhi's family and party wants to bury the DMK supremo at Marina Beach. However, the TN governemnt has said that it was ready to offer two acres of land near Gandhi Mandapam in Guindy. Congress leaders K Kamaraj and C Rajaji were also buried in Gandhi Mandapam.
TN pays last respect
Tamil Nadu Governor Banwarilal Purohit pays last respects to former Tamil Nadu CM M Karunanidhi at Chennai's Rajaji Hall.