Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam supremo M Karunanidhi, who had been undergoing treatment at Kauvery Hospital in Chennai, passed away on Tuesday, August 7.
Karunanidhi had not been keeping well since July 26 and was being treated at his Goplapuram residence. He had been rushed to the hospital after his health deteriorated in the early hours of July 28.
The 94-year-old politico had been suffering from fever, urinary tract infection, liver complications and other health ailments owing to old age.
On Monday (August 6), the doctors announced that Karunanidhi's condition was critical and his health would be monitored closely for the next 24 hours. However, his health did not show any improvement and he breathed his last at 6.10 pm.
Here are a few facts about the DMK president:
- Karunanidhi was born to Muthuvelu and Anju on June 3, 1924, in Thirukkuvalai village in Nagapattinam district of Tamil Nadu.
- Popularly known as Kalaignar Karunanidhi, the DMK chief had entered politics at the age of 14, after being inspired by a speech by Alagiriswamii of the Justice Party.
- Besides being a 10-time president of the DMK, Karunanidhi had also served as a five-time Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.
- Before entering politics, Karunanidhi was a screenwriter in the Tamil film industry. His movies hailed progressive ideas like the abolition of untouchability, zamindari system and religious hypocrisy.
- Karunanidhi was known as Kalaignar owing to his contribution in the field of poetry, novel writing, screenplays, script writing and even composing songs for movies. He had written the script for over 40 films.