A bus travelling from Shirdi to Hyderabad caught fire in Bidar district's town of Humnabad in Karnataka on Friday morning claiming the life of a three-year-old child and injuring five others.
Passengers alerted the driver after they noticed fire in the rear end of the bus around 3 a.m.
The bus, which was carrying 36 passengers, caught fire due to a short circuit, according to local media reports.
The driver and the cleaner of the bus ran away from the spot. People from a nearby dhaba broke the window glasses and helped the passengers jump out. But the three-year-old child went unnoticed and was left behind. He died due to severe burn injuries.
The injured were admitted in the Humnabad government hospital located around 55 km from Bidar.
An investigation has been ordered into the incident and the police have also registered a case.
Telangana Transport Minister Mahender Reddy expressed shock over the incident and has assured medical aid to those admitted in the hospital. He has also directed officials to bring the passengers home safely.
Bidar (Karnataka): 3-year-old dead, 3 injured after a bus carrying 36 passengers caught fire in Humnabad. pic.twitter.com/RLQR0VxkD0
â€" ANI (@ANI_news) September 16, 2016