The popular custom firmware developers, CyanogenMod, have released the new Android v4.4.4 KitKat CM11 M10 to Sony's 2013 flagship mid-range smartphone Xperia SP.
Early this month, Sony officially abandoned the software service to Xperia SP, probably due to limited RAM capacity.Thus giving an anti-climax twist to loyal Sony fans, who agonisingly waited for close to 10 months to savour the sweet taste (read rich UI experience) of chocolate-wafer flavoured Android update on their Xperia SP [for more information, read IBT India report], but fret not, the KitKat OS can be experienced via custom ROM thanks to popular CyanogenMod team.
The new CM11 M10 custom ROM is based on the AOSP (Android Open Source Project) v4.4.4 KitKat OS and is said to bring customisation options to boost device performance, new visual interface, shortcut for easy access to key apps and loads of personalisation options such as:
- General bug fixes (many)
- Multi-SIM updates
- Theme Engine: Themes support for additional UI elements
- Privacy Guard: Control NFC permissions
- Settings: Add soft reboot option
- Settings: Add scramble pin feature
- Frameworks: Long press recent apps to switch to last used app
- Frameworks & Core Apps: CAF and other upstream updates
- ANT+ Support for various hardware
- Add smart cover support
- Add glove mode support
- Add bug reporter and crash log uploader
- Performance tweaks and many more improvements to enhance user-experience
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- This new CyanogenMod Android 4.4.4 KitKat firmware has to be installed on the Sony Xperia SP (aka HuaShan) model only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number].
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your device (Sony Xperia SP) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Step-by-step installation tutorial of CyanogenMod Android v4.4.4 KitKat CM11 M10 Custom ROM on Sony Xperia SP:
Step 2: Connect Sony Xperia SP to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware.]
Step 3: Then, place Android v4.4.4 KitKat CM11 M10 Custom ROM zip file into the phone's SD card memory [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder].
[Note: Before users begin installing the custom software, make sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 4: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset'.
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode.]
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation].
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 4.4.4 ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure again to install the Google Apps. [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Sony Xperia SP) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod Android v4.4.4 KitKat CM11 M10 custom ROM.
[Credits: CyanogenMod.Org & Team Android]