A new version of Android v4.4.4 KitKat CM11 R3 custom ROM has been made available to Xiaomi's flagship mid-range smartphone Redmi 1S.
The new CM11 M10 custom ROM (Un-official version) R3 is stable and smoother than the previous R1 and R2. It is based on the AOSP (Android Open Source Project) v4.4.4 KitKat OS and is said to bring customisation options to boost device performance, new visual interface, shortcut for easy access to key apps and loads of personalisation options such as-
- Fix random reboot problem
- Optimized balanced battery usage
- Built-in Superuser option
- Built-in DSP manage
- More privacy settings option
- SE Linux enabled kernel
- Performance tweaks and many more improvements to enhance user-experience
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- This new CyanogenMod Android 4.4.4 KitKat firmware has to be installed on the Xiaomi Redmi 1S only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted in the mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Step-by-step installation procedure of CyanogenMod Android v4.4.4 KitKat CM11 R3 Custom ROM for Xiaomi Redmi 1S:
Step 2: Connect Xiaomi Redmi 1S to PC via USB cord.
Step 3: Then, place Android v4.4.4 KitKat CM11 Custom ROM zip file and Google Apps into the root folder of phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool [Video guide] or learn Step-by-Step guide for CMW Recovery installation]
Step 4: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (Down)' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' option
[Note: use 'Volume (Down)' key to navigate and 'Volume (Up)' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Now, come back to Recovery menu, and select Mounts and Storage >> Format System and tap 'Yes' to go next step. i.e., to clear the cache memory by selecting - 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 4.4.4 ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure again to install the Google Apps. [Note: use 'Volume (Down)' key to navigate and 'Volume (Up)' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Xiaomi Redmi 1S) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod Android v4.4.4 KitKat CM11 custom ROM.