Prolific mobile custom software developers, CyanogenMod team has released the new CM11 M12 series Android 4.4.4 KitKat ROM for Samsung's 2012 flagship Galaxy S3 [I9300].
The new CM11 M12 custom ROM is based on the AOSP (Android Open Source Project) v4.4.4 KitKat OS and not the recently-released Android 5.0 Lollipop. The company is still working on the new Android OS and has promised something special for the fans to welcome the upcoming holidays and the New Year.
Besides the usual enhanced features and performance tweaks, CM11 M12 is also said to fix last month's POODLE vulnerability found in SSL (Secure Socket Layer) v3 protocol of most Internet browsers. This vulnerability gives leeway for the network attacker to cause connection failures and they can trigger the use of SSL 3.0 and then exploit this issue to steal sensitive data. [More information on POODLE vulnerability, HERE]
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM):
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in the future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- This new CM11 M12 series firmware has to be installed on the Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 (Exynos chipset) model only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number].
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not properly followed, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Step-by-step installation guide of CyanogenMod Android v4.4.4 KitKat CM11 M12 custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300:
Step 2: Connect Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer be sure that you have installed the USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware].
Step 3: Place the Android 4.4.4 KitKat zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder].
[Note: Before installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have been rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery tool.]
Step 4: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the Recovery Mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing the 'wipe data/factory reset' option.
[Note: Use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode].
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting the 'wipe cache partition.'
Step 8: Then go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache.' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that the user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation].
Step 9: Again come back to the main recovery screen and tap 'install zip from SD card.'
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 4.4.4 ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to 'Settings >> About phone' to confirm the installation of the CyanogenMod Android 4.4.4 KitKat CM11 M12 custom ROM.