100 Years of Indian Cinema Celebrations: Vijay, Suriya, Ajith Attend; Kamal, Rajinikanth Honoured
The centenary celebrations (100 years) of Indian cinema kicked-off on a grand note at Chennai's Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium on 21 September. [ Also Read: 100 Years of Indian Cinema Closing Ceremony]
The first-day event was inaugurated by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, actors Saroja Devi and Vaijanthimala by lighting the traditional lamp.
The gala ceremony saw stars, producers, technicians and directors from the Tamil film fraternity under one roof. New generation stars Suriya, Ajith, Vijay, Vikram, Dhanush, Simbu, Trisha and Simran were present at the event. [To look at the pictures, click here]
Legendary actors including Kamal Haasan, Rajinikanth, SS Rajendran, Kanchana, Jamuna, Jayasudha, Jayapradha, Telugu actor Balakrishna, Sivakumar singers Jamuna Rani and LR Eshwari among others were honoured for their excellence in cinema.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
As many as 59 handicapped individuals were also honoured with specially-designed trophies. Speaking at the inaugural event, Jayalalithaa was quoted as saying by IANS, "When I was an actress, celebrating 100 days run of a film at the box-office was considered a rare achievement. Today, we are celebrating the centenary year of Indian cinema, and it is indeed a very special moment for all of us."
After the inaugural ceremony, film stars of Tamil cinema gave out cultural performances. Vivek performed a comedy show, while Rajesh directed Santhanam in a comedy skit. Actors Karthi and Kajal, Vishal and Lakshmi Menon, Arya and Dhanshika performed to a medley of old songs. Suriya and Lingusamy, who are teaming for a new film, took part in a talk show at the event.
Here is the list of celebrities who have been awarded for their contribution to Indian cinema.
Kamal Haasan (Actor)
Saroja Devi (Actor)
Ramesh Prassad (Prassad Studios)
Venkatrama Reddy (Vijaya Studios)
Suresh (Ananda Pictures Circuit)
Ilayaraja (Music Director)
[To check out the entire list, click here]
The centenary celebration of Indian cinema is a four-day event that will take place till 24 September. Most of the members from all four south Indian film industries will be gracing the occasion. The final day event will be presided over by President Pranab Mukherjee. Bollywood stalwarts Amitabh Bachchan and Shah Rukh Khan are expected to attend the event.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Aamir, Shilpa Shetty, Vidya Balan, Farhan, John and Others Cast their Votes [PHOTOS]
- Rani Mukherji-Aditya Chopra Wedding: Uday Chopra Becomes Butt of Jokes on Twitter
- Kangana Ranaut Promotes Upcoming Film 'Revolver Rani' at Filmalaya Studios [PHOTOS]
- Fans Voted Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Salman Khan and Katrina Kaif as Veronica, Archie and Betty
- IPL 7 News: Preity Zinta Talks about Being a Woman in a Male-Dominated Game
- Priyanka Chopra Releases New Single 'I Can't Make You Love Me', Shoots Holi-Themed Music Video with Milo Ventimiglia
- ‘2 States’ Box Office Collection: Arjun-Alia Starrer Crosses ₹50 Crore Mark in 5 Days; Beats ‘Ragini MMS 2’
- Rani Mukerji's Alleged Love Affairs: Aamir Khan, Abhishek Bachchan, Govinda, Shahid Kapoor
- IIFA Awards 2014: Hollywood Star John Travolta to Join Bollywood Celebs in Tampa Bay
- What's the Buzz on Ajith's 'Thala 55' and Vijay's 'Kaththi'?