Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge Completes Historic 900 Weeks at Maratha Mandir
"Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge", one of Bollywood's biggest romantic films released in the mid-90s, is still captivating today's movie audiences.
The film, which starred Kajol and Shahrukh Khan - one of the most popular and loved on-screen couples of Bollywood,- completed its 900 weeks of a successful run on Friday at Maratha Mandir Cinema in Mumbai.
The film, which was released on July 25, 1995, is the longest-running film in the history of Indian cinema. Since the day of its release it has been running successfully at Maratha Mandir Cinema.
"Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge", also known as "DDLJ", was directed by Aditya Chopra and produced by late legendary filmmaker Yash Chopra. The film was declared an all-time blockbuster and received rave receives from critics worldwide.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
It became the second highest grossing film of Bollywood in 1990s after Salman Khan's "Hum Aapke Hai Kaun". It also became the second film to surpass the ₹100 crore mark worldwide.
In 1996, the film won 10 Filmfare Awards including four major awards in the Best Movie, Best Director, Best Actor and Best Actress categories. It also won National Film Awards for "Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment".
Last year in October, the film completed 17 years of non-stop running.
The British Film Institute (BFI) has commissioned a book written by Anupama Chopra on "DDLJ". It was the first Hindi film chosen for BFI Modern Classics series of international films.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- 'Tenaliraman' Review Roundup: Watch it for Vadivelu
- 'Tenaliraman' Release: Will Vadivelu Starrer Strike Gold at Box Office?
- Heidi Klum Bares It All for Younger Boyfriend Vito Schnabel, Goes Topless In a Mexico Beach
- Bollywood Films with Shifted Release Dates: ‘P.K.’, ‘Bombay Velvet’, ‘Ungli’ and Others
- Katrina Kaif Prefers Ranbir Kapoor over Cannes Film Festival?
- After Ranbir, Bipasha Basu and Harman Baweja go on House Hunting Spree, To Live in Together?