madhesi
[Representational Image] 99% demands of Madhesis fulfilled in Nepal's constitution amendment, says BJP leader Picture: United Democratic Madhesis Front (UDMF) supporters burn a copy of the Supreme Court order on the national dress in Kathmandu Aug. 26, 2011.Reuters

At least 99 percent of the demands made by Nepal's Madhesis have been met in the amendments to the country's Constitution, former Uttarakhand Chief Minister and senior BJP leader Bhagat Singh Koshiyari said Saturday. 

The Madhesis had protested for long, demanding representation in the country's constitutional bodies when the new Constitution was adopted in September 2015. They had blocked the Indo-Nepal border, which stopped movement of goods to the landlocked country. Nepal, which was recovering after a massive earthquake last year, suffered losses due to the trade block, which was lifted in February this year.  

"India wants to see that peace and political stability is maintained in Nepal and the country moves forward on the path of economic prosperity," Koshiyari, who is visiting Kathmandu, was quoted as saying by the Press Trust of India.

"Through the constitution amendments, 99 per cent of the demands of the Madhesi people were fulfilled and the remaining 1 percent will also be fulfilled through dialogue and negotiations," he added.

"Everything will be all right, I am confident that the remaining problems will also be resolved soon."

India also confirmed recently that normal trade had resumed between the two neighbouring countries.

External Affairs Ministry Spokesman Vikas Swarup, in a recent press briefing, had said that trade between the two countries was restored to its former level.

Recently, Nepal's Prime Minister Khadga Prasad Sharma Oli visited India after the blockade was lifted.The visit is believed to have helped in re-building bilateral ties.  

"Having to rebuild the ruined foundation is a tall order. But we will do it in a fine way. We will extend a hand of true friendship towards India, and will expect the same from the other side," the Indian Express quoted Oli as saying, before his India visit.