The father-in-law of Duchess of Cambridge's sister Pippa Middleton was held by the French police earlier this week as he was charged with raping a minor in 1998 or 1999.
According to The Telegraph, David Matthews, 74, was questioned by police Tuesday, March 27, and later formally investigated by a magistrate over the "rape of a minor by a person in authority."
According to French laws, preliminary charges against him can be dropped anytime with insufficient evidence.
The alleged rape charge against Matthews is said to have filed in 2017, which was "strenuously denied" by him.
The 74-year-old was released from the custody but will be remained under judicial control. Also, he was not restricted to his "freedom of movement."
A Paris judicial official told the Telegraph: "I confirm that David M was placed in police custody on 27 March at the Brigade for the Protection of Minors.
"Following his arrest, the Paris public prosecutor's office opened a judicial investigation, overlooked by an examining magistrate. He was placed under judicial supervision by the investigating judge. The investigation alleges that the crimes were committed in 1998 and 1999.
The official added: "The investigations will now continue as a judicial investigation and will be led by an investigating judge."
Matthews's spokesperson said, "David Matthews categorically denies the allegation and unequivocally contests the untrue and scandalous accusation."
Who is David Matthews?
- Multi-millionaire David Matthews is the son of a Yorkshire coal miner.
- His first job was a garage mechanic at his father's business. Later he became a renowned racing driver. He retired in the late 1970s following a major injury.
- Matthews first marriage was to fellow racing driver Anita Taylor. But the duo later divorced in 1969. He has a daughter with her.
- Later he married Rhodesian-born artist Jane Parker. And, they have been living in Saint Barthélemy for more than 20 years. The couple owns the Eden Roc hotel on the Carribean retreat, which was voted the best hotel in the world by Conde Nast Traveller readers in 2016.
- David Matthews is the father of three children — Pippa's husband James Matthews, 42, and reality star Spencer Matthews, 29 and Michael Matthews, who died during an expedition to Mount Everest.